• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB MLB announces tougher PED suspensions

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
“@JonHeymanCBS: MLB announces tougher PED penalties. 1st offense 80 games; 2nd 162. No postseason for ped guys. More hgh blood tests.”

BourneofDarkness15

Registered Member
Love the tougher penalties, though I'd go to a 162 games for the 1st offense, 2 seasons for the 2nd and a permanent ban for the third offense. The HGH testing is a must and I really wish this was around back when Bonds played cause that guy would've never been in the league long enough to break the home run record

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Looks like they're headed toward the one thing that does help cut down on PED use. Make the penalties so severe that, even if you think you're ahead of the game with an undetected substance, it isn't worth it to try.

Love it.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I love tougher penalties and really I can't picture myself being a critic of any increase in penalty - I want the game I love to be 100% clean. I agree with Biz, they need to put the fear of losing careers into players so that they don't think twice about playing clean.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I like the new rules a lot. Yes, they could be stricter but this is pretty darn good.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Bud let it go for years to build revenue for the owners. Now that the money is back in the game he wants to leave his mark. Hypocrite!

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Dickey's Flow said:
Bud let it go for years to build revenue for the owners. Now that the money is back in the game he wants to leave his mark. Hypocrite!
Wrestling let it go. NFL let it go. They all let it go.

It's not just Bud here.

Sabby

Exactly, Bud was at the mercy for the owners and after the 94 Strike baseball was nearly crippled. I don't agree with ignoring the PED issue, but I can see why he did it. He brought the fans back and made the owners money. AS an aside, I love these stricter penalties.

DrMiraculous

performance enhancers have no place in the game

that being said, when we look at the list of pro players suspended and what they are caught for, minor leaguers included, we see that its pretty much a witch hunt for occasional recreational drug users.

Leave it to Bud Selig to take something important and make it into a policy that works against the players who need the help. He is a 1980s guy, no email no computer and Just Say No policies because he saw it work for Reagan. Then the media parrots it so often that the public accepts it and it becomes a way to continue to restrict players right to negotiate. This is why Marvin Miller was firmly opposed to drug testing for MLB.

And indeed, Bud Selig was told pre-strike by the FBI that there were players buying illegal steroids in his league and turned a blind eye on the game he was supposed to protect and steward. He should be banned from the game for his ineptitude and apathy.