• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB: 2017 Spring Training

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Definitely sucks...only 22 so he can bounce back but I was hoping for him to do some things this year. Michael Wacha is probably happy though haha

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Definitely sucks...only 22 so he can bounce back but I was hoping for him to do some things this year. Michael Wacha is probably happy though haha
Yeah, I'm sad for Reyes but honestly if there's a good time for this to happen (taking youth out of the equation), it's now. He played in the majors last year and proved he could hang. Now he's young enough to adjust his game and heal up relatively quickly, I hope. I wish him a speedy recovery.

It's been funny reading comments under stories of him, because many people think the Cardinals organization will just have 5 pitchers waiting in the minors that can go crazy with their W-L records and ERA when called up. It's also been nice to see Cubs fans and other teams' fans say gin that they don't care about the rivalries or what they think of the Cards, they hate to see a talented kid get hurt.

I hope Wacha can stay healthy and have a strong year, and get that last spot. I've always wanted to see him repeat success but have concerns long-term. I also wonder if Weaver may snag that spot. There's always talk about Rosenthal trying to start, but honestly I don't know about that if he can't hang as closer. I know it's a different type of game but, still, I don't have a ton of confidence in Rosey. Please, prove me wrong.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't know what to think about Rosenthal. I know he's always wanted to start...part of me wonders if he lost the closers job to Oh to so he could start haha

Two years ago though you could have made the case that Rosie was the best closer in the league...he was lights out, amazing, insert adjectives here. So what happened? He got hurt...is he healthy now? Seriously, his stats in 2015 are stupid good.

2.10 ERA
48 saves
All-star appearance

Hell, in 2014 he had 45 saves! But can he start? I think someone like Wacha would be good in the 8th, I don't really know if Trevor is a good setup man. I will let it all play out but I hope he's given a chance to start...a fair chance. And if it doesn't work, stick him in the bullpen.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ional-walkwill-use-signal-dugout?sf57802243=1

This won't do much to speed up the game. Limiting commercials will, but we all know that's never going to happen.

Leave. The. Game. Alone.
Totally agree, I said something similar on Facebook today. Stop changing the damn game every year. The time of an intentional walk is only about a minute, and I heard that statistically they're getting less and less common anyway. A wild pitch can happen any time, and four lobs over the plate are still going to take a hint of energy from a pitcher and be a factor in the game.

TheRealVJ

Registered Member
Still surprised some decent guys remained unsigned. Angel Pagan, Johnny Papelbon, Pedro Alvarez, Tim Lincecum, etc., are all still free agents. I know there's still time left, but i would have expected these guys to sign by now on minor league pacts. Even if their past their primes, guys like Pagan and Alvarez are still very useful players.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Might be only me but in Papelbon's case, I think his attitude might be detrimental to him right now. Caused unnecessary drama in the past 2 years. But yeah, I would've expected Angel Pagan to be signed at this time of year.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Matt Carpenter has been having some back tightness and has missed 3 spring training games...his WBC appearance is now in doubt. He's potentially batting 3rd for us this year, so I'm really hoping this isn't a nagging sort of thing for the year. He's got to be one of the most underrated players in baseball.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
USA beats Japan, 2-1, in WBC final for the first time.

It's been a real fun tournament to watch so far. Hoping the Americans win the finals against Puerto Rico.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BorshaBowmik Baseball 0
Babe_Ruth Baseball 46
Babe_Ruth Baseball 14
Millz Baseball 115
Babe_Ruth Baseball 24