• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB 2010-2011 Off-Season Thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
What the hell are the Rays going to do with two full time DHs?
Johnny Damon will most likely play in the outfield since Carl Crawford is gone, and Ramirez will play DH most of the time and you'll see him in the outfield on occasion.

I just thought of something else about that Vernon Wells trade. The Angels already have a centerfielder in Torii Hunter(he's signed till 2013), does that mean that Wells will play a new position now? It should be interesting to see what happens with this scenario.

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Johnny Damon will most likely play in the outfield since Carl Crawford is gone, and Ramirez will play DH most of the time and you'll see him in the outfield on occasion.
I wonder how "Manny Being Manny" will play off in Tampa...

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
The Wells trade came out of nowhere but to me it's obvious celebration for a Jays fan.

First of all, and maybe the only important reason here, is THAT CONTRACT IS GONE! One of the most untradeable contracts in baseball history has been moved, and the Jays aren't even paying a dime back to the Angels. Plus, the Jays actually got some great pieces back in the trade as well. The trade on the face of it is very even, but the Jays come out on top due to the contract being gone. Over the past 18 months, the Jays have rid itself of around $150 million owed dollars to Alex Rios and Vernon Wells.

Great headline from Halo's Heaven on the trade:
"Angels Release Mike Napoli, Sign Juan Rivera to Four-Year, $86 Million Extension"
A quote from inside the article:
This trade doesn't even deserve the dignity of a formal analysis. The Angels voluntarily vacated about three or four wins next season while simultaneously boosting their payroll by nearly $10 million

Vernon Wells seemed like a great guy, and I liked the ballplayer, but I loathed that contract.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Nats are trying to pry Fausto Carmona from the Indians and maybe able to do so if they are also willing to take Grady Sizemore off their hands.

Sizemore is a risk, but if he can stay healthy then he can be a great lead-off hitter, but that's a big if. He's missed a lot of games during the last few seasons.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm with you on that. Seizmore would have to have a really low trade price for him to be worth it for the Nats.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Report: Yankees' Pettitte to announce retirement Friday

Andy Pettite is suppose to announce his retirement tomorrow. This is terrible news if your a Yankees fan, and a baseball fan. I've always been a fan of Pettite because of his intensity, his playoff record, and he just went out there and got the job done. He's retiring fairly young, he could of easily had another season or two left in him. He'll be missed.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
He was one hell of a pitcher and it's a dame shame he's not going to give it one more go.

The Yankees are going to be going after one of the veteran arms left.

Bosox04

Registered Member
On AP, can someone please help me out. What exactly is this recent scuff between Pettite and Clemens? I get it...they used to be best friends, and now Clemens is lying and Pettite is calling him out. Anyone clarify?

I guess this is what happens when a Longhorn and an Aggie fight....

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A source requesting anonymity told The Associated Press late Wednesday night Bautista and the Blue Jays have agreed on a five-year, US$65-million contract. The official announcement is expected to be made Thursday.
Source: Blue Jays, Bautista agree to $65M, five-year deal

I'm not sure how I feel about this deal if true. Yes, Bautista had an incredible year last season, and not just at the plate, but he hasn't proven that he can do this from a year to year basis. Bautista numbers last year, caught everyone by surprise, since he hasn't put up anything close to that. This type of money might be a bit pre-mature, but I do hope I'm wrong.