• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB 2010-2011 Off-Season Thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I saw the Marcum trade which is surprising. What are your thoughts on the deal Squeak?

Marcum really came to his own last season, and losing him with hurt our rotation just a bit. He was a good teammate and a clubhouse guy. But getting Lawrie might be huge for this franchise, he's still very young but he's talented. I see him making the club in 2013. He brings a good bat, great defense and speed.

The infield is shapinp up really nicely when looking at our prospects. Hill will probably move to third in a few years, you have Hechavarria at short, Lawrie at second and Cooper at first, maybe Lind.

Also the Mark Reynolds trade was out of left field, no pun intended.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Alright, I'll try to break some things down here. Sorry, finals are really bogging me down.

First on the Marcum deal: This is the first trade AA has made that I don't instantly agree with. I'm not too high on trading a guy who pitched very good in the AL East last year and was a leader on a young pitching staff. I'm not saying Marcum is exactly an ace or anything, but he can be a #2 on a very solid pitching staff. I just find it puzzling because trading Marcum for Lawrie seems to go against AA's plan for contention in the next few years.

I will wait to pass judgment for a few days because frankly, the reporting on this trade has sucked ass. It is hard to say if there is contract issues involved with Marcum or what have you. The thing that worries me about Lawrie is he really doesn't have a position. He was drafted as a catcher, moved around to third then to second and some projections have him ending up at first or on the corners. At least he's Canadian so guys like Bob McCown and Steve Simmons can STFU about the Jays not getting any Canadian players.

I guess we will also wait and see how true these Grienke rumors are as well. It could be that this trade is a precursor to the Jays getting Grienke, either by shipping Lawrie off to KC or just to replenish some prospect positions on what I am sure will be a hefty package going to the Royals.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
If the early reports of the Jays trading Drabek, Snider and a few prospects for Grienke are true then I'll be pissed off if this trade happens. I'm a big fan of Grienke, but that would be giving them way to much for a pitcher that has only had one great year. Not saying he's not a great pitcher, it's really hurt him that he played with the Royals for a while, but he's definitely not worth those pieces.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree, I like Grienke, A LOT, but I think the jury is still out on how good he really is. I'd love to have him in the Astros rotation, but I would be leery of giving up too much for him.

As for Jeter, this doesn't surprise me at all. I actually laughed when I read Jeter's agent making comments about the Astros making a play for him, as if he was ever going anywhere else. I agree with Squeaks, he is overpaid, but overpaying him didn't surprise me at all.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Sorry I have been absent lately. I will post some stuff tonight, on the ridiculously overpaid Derek Jeter and Jayson Werth.

Jays have also shipped Shaun Marcum to Milwaukee and Mark Reynolds appears to be heading from Arizona to Baltimore.
Shaun Marcum from Arizona to Baltimore? My dad will LOVE that. He is a huge fan of the Orioles.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
My apologizes K-Spice, must have typed that wrong. Two separate moves: Marcum to Milwaukee and Mark Reynolds went to Baltimore.

I don't think Toronto is going to go after Grienke. I agree the price is starting to get high, and I don't think AA will overpay. I might give up one of either Drabek or Snider, but not both, so I don't think it will get done although KC is certainly entitled to both talents in a trade for ZG. It just doesn't make sense for Toronto right now.

I think AA was trying to buy Grienke at a lower price, but now that other teams are getting involved and the price is escalating, I believe that the Jays will pull out.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
There's speculations that Cliff Lee might sign with the Nationals. Right now there's about 50% chance that he goes to Washington. The Nats are ready to offer another big contract like Werth, and you have to take into consideration that Werth and Lee are best buds. Personally I don't see it happening, but that would be a pretty huge signing if he did end up there.

------
Reports are that the Yankees have offered Cliff Lee a six year contract worth 140 million dollars. I think that's over paying for a 32 year old. I know he's put up some good numbers in recent years, especially in the playoffs but I don't believe he deserves that type of money.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
That's a lot of money for Crawford, but it's not surprising since the Red Sox missed the playoffs and I knew they would overpay to get a good player. That said Crawford adds a lot of speed to the lineup, he does everything on the field and will be a great addition to the already stacked line-up of the Boston Red Sox.

It definitely will be strange to see him in a Red Sox uniform, since he's played his whole career with the Rays thus far.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Scott Downs just signed a three year contract with the Angels worth fifteen million dollars. In all honesty, I'm not all that disappointed that Downs is not with the Jays anymore. He got the job down most of the time, but he didn't have much control at times, and he missed a lot of games due to injuries during his last few seasons. He's thirty-four so it's only going to get worst from hear and out.

Angels sign P Downs to reported three-year, $15M deal