• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB 2010-2011 Off-Season Thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Buck had a great year with Toronto for sure, but I don't follow the Marlins logic. They deal Uggla, one of their best hitters, because he's too expensive then go out and sign Buck, who likely overachieved last year, for big bucks. I just don't get the Uggla trade either, that is the best they could do?
I totally agree with you man, they definitely over paid for Buck, I don't believe he deserves that type of money. I'm glad that Double A didn't re-sign him, especially for the money he was asking for.

I believe the Marlins were afraid that they wouldn't be able to re-sign Uggla which is why they traded him away, personally I believe they could of gotten a lot more for him.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree, I'm just surprised the Marlins acted so quickly. You think they could have waited to receive better offers at the GM meetings later on. I've heard a few rumors that some GM's hadn't made offers yet because they did not know the Marlins were acting so quickly. Just bewilders me as well they ship him to a divisional opponent.

They definitely are overvaluing Omar Infante as well.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
The Jeter thing is going to get ugly I think, but he better re-think his position if he thinks the Yankees are going to pay him 25 million a year like reported. I still think him and the Yankees will reluctantly come to terms (a good deal leaves everyone unhappy) but I don't know, if Jeter doesn't come back down to earth, there could be some team out there willing to pay big bucks to get, well, Jeter the name.

I guess we will see where Jeter's allegiances really lie, with money or New York, which is funny because he's trying to get paid for his loyalty to the Yankees.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
One thing that really bugs Jeter in my opinion is that A-Rod is in the books till he's 42-years old and Jeter wants to be signed till then too, which is why he's asking for a six year contract.

I do agree that they'll eventually come to an agreement, but it should be interesting to see who's going to blink first, right now both parties are holding their ground. I wonder if the process would of been different if George was still alive.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree about Jeter's thinking but he's got to look at his stats and know that A-Rod has way more value to the Yankees at this point on the field. Off the field, that's where this gets tricky, because of Jeter's value off of the field.

Interesting point about Steinbrenner, but he did have a history of letting guys go when he thought they were past their prime. He let Reggie Jackson go to Baltimore and Bernie Williams didn't really quit on his terms, IMO. It should be the most intriguing headline of the off-season, rumors already say that Houston is ready to pony up some cash, albeit a 1 to 2 year contract.

I really got to believe Jeter will blink first, he really doesn't have a ton of leverage at this point. The Yankees can survive without Jeter.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tulo is close to signing with the Rockies for 7 years, $134 MM.

Sources: Colorado Rockies, Troy Tulowitzki agree on new megadeal - ESPN

So he'll make $14 MM at age 35 in 2020. Troy Tulowitzki is one of the best young players in the Majors, and even though he's had injury problems in recent years, I still believe he deserves this type of contract.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree BR with all you say about Tulo, I just have this sinking feeling that this contract could do the Rockies in similar to what the Jays did with Vernon Wells. It's not so much the money, but the duration of the contract. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet on a long term deal to lock up a star player. I too think Tulo deserves it, just something to chew on I guess.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A lot of people believe that he'll eventually turn into a Todd Helton, meaning that during his prime he'll be one of the best players in the Majors, but by the end of his contract he'll struggle. Not trying to take anything away from Troy, but it does help that he plays in Colorado for half of the season. It should be interesting to see how the rest of his career plays out. I'm sure he still as a lot of good years left in him, but I don't know if he'll be able to maintain his strong play till the end of his contract.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Sources: Yankees, Jeter agree on three-year, $51M deal

Well it looks like Derek Jeter and the New York Yankees have came to an agreement. The deal is three years worth 51 million dollars. There's an eight million option for a fourth year.

Not surprising that Jeter and the Yankees were able to come to an agreement. I think Jeter wanted to remain a Yankee, and New York didn't want to lose their captain.

Rivera also signed a two year contract with the Yankees.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Sorry I have been absent lately. I will post some stuff tonight, on the ridiculously overpaid Derek Jeter and Jayson Werth.

Jays have also shipped Shaun Marcum to Milwaukee and Mark Reynolds appears to be heading from Arizona to Baltimore.