• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

MLB 2010-2011 Off-Season Thread

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Now that the World Series is over, the off-season officially begins. We'll use this thread to discuss possible trades, free agent signings, new managers and all that other cool stuff.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Just a few things I saw across the wire.

Ron Roenicke is the new manager of the Brewers. Formerly the bench coach for the Angels under Mike Scoisca.

The Padres exercised Adrian Gonzalez 1 year, 6.2 million dollar option.

JP Riccardi has been hired by the Mets as an adviser and assistant to new GM Sandy Alderson.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
A few questions for you guys, want to know what your thoughts are:

Do the Yankees re-sign Derek Jeter? To some people this might be an easy answer, but to others it can be a little harder.

Manny Ramirez has stated that he wouldn't mind playing under Farrell in Toronto, do you believe the Jays will end up signing him?

Will Prince Fielder finally get traded?

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
1) I think Jeter will resign but the talks are going to get messy. Jeters on-field value certainly is not worth what he is wanting, but off the field, what he means to the Yankee Brand might be hard to put a dollar sign on. No way he plays anywhere but New York next year IMO, but it is going to be a tad messy.

2) As much as I would love to see Manny is Toronto, I would have to put the odds against it, because I am not sure if Manny can fit well into the outfield-DH situation. However, AA in his short history likes signing guys to one year deals and flipping them, so it could happen.

3) Tough question, I believe he will but where beats me.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Do the Yankees re-sign Derek Jeter? To some people this might be an easy answer, but to others it can be a little harder.
I agree with you Squeak, I negotiations won't be easy. Jeter wants long-term and Hank and his brother doesn't want to give him a big contract. He stated that he's running a business and he wants best for his team in the present and in the future. He already has A-Rod locked in till he's 42-years old and he doesn't want Jeter playing in a Yankee uniform at that age either.

It's definitely a storyline that I'm looking forward to follow, since Jeter as been Mr. Yankee since the days of Mickie Mantle.

Manny Ramirez has stated that he wouldn't mind playing under Farrell in Toronto, do you believe the Jays will end up signing him?
Depending how much money he wants and for how many years, I'd take Manny as our regular DH in a heartbeat. Overbay is gone this season, so you move Lind permenantly at first base, and you have Manny being your full-time DH.

Will Prince Fielder finally get traded?
If the Brewers lower the price tag for Prince then I believe he gets traded. If he does get traded, I hope it's too an American League team.

Another question to ask. One of the biggest Free Agents on the market today is Jayson Werth, where do you think he lands? A lot of people think the Braves will end up signing him.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree about moving Lind to first base, however, what if he cannot handle playing first? Another great parting gift from Cito was anyone not being able to see Lind play first base towards the end of last season.

I hope the Jays can find room for Manny though.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think he can eventually handle first, I think he'll practice playing first base all off-season, and eventually be able to play it well. He's shown signs that he had issues with the position, but like they always say practice makes perfect.

I think it would be the best if they moved him there permanently since we have to many outfielders.

Last edited:

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
I agree completely BR, hopefully he can show the ability to play first base because it would make the Jays much more flexible positional wise.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here are a few worthy notes:

Dan Uggla was traded to the Braves for Omar Infante.

Braves acquire All-Star second baseman Uggla from Marlins

Surprise that these two players were traded within the same division. None the less, I believe the Braves won this trade. Uggla is one of the better offensive second baseman in the Majors and his glove ain't that bad either. I know he only has one year left on his contract, but I do believe they'll be able to re-sign him long-term.

On another note concerning the Marlings, it seems like they were able to sign John Buck to a three-year contract.

Report: Buck and Marlins near $18M, 3-year deal

Buck had a breakout last season, but we have one of the best catching prospect in the Majors in Arencibia, and it was time for the Jays to give this kid a time to shine. Buck was a valuable part of the Jays last year. He was good with the pitchers, and he had pop in his bat. He'll be missed, somewhat.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Buck had a great year with Toronto for sure, but I don't follow the Marlins logic. They deal Uggla, one of their best hitters, because he's too expensive then go out and sign Buck, who likely overachieved last year, for big bucks. I just don't get the Uggla trade either, that is the best they could do?