• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mitt Romney’s prep school classmates recall pranks, but also troubling incidents

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Mitt Romney’s prep school classmates recall pranks, but also troubling incidents - The Washington Post

A few days later, Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the school’s collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Lauber’s hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

Now, who knows how accurate this is, but it's still an interesting story, and since it's in the Washington Post, I decided to post it here.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Big deal? Or not?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
What an AMAZING COINCIDENCE this story is out the very day after 0bama comes out of the closet. This truly proves that the Post is not on the 0bama team, no way. They are respected, unbiased, just the facts media.

Because they treat all candidates equally.

Flashback: Obama?s Sordid High School Past

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Like most political news, this is a completely bullshit bit of reporting. Oh wow, someone was a cunt back when they were a kid! Guess what, most people were cunts as kids!

This kind of reporting tells us nothing about what actually matters, that being where the guy stands on policies and such. It doesn't tell us if the guy is capable in office, what changes he'd make if he were put into office, or anything else important. All it does is serve to make politics a game, where all that matters is which team is winning.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't know Obama came out of the closet SS, he doesn't want to bash gays or prevent them from getting married. Is that a bad thing? If they were bashing Obama you would be trumpeting their every word.

I know people mature and change somewhat but I think what he has done in the past is a big deal. Especially since it was violence against another person and he is running for president, not dog catcher, which would be more suited to him in my opinion. It seems so many people can remember this but he can't seem to recall it. Is this a case of selective memory or campaign strategy?

Since the people he picked on were the more vulnerable I have to wonder how he will treat the more vulnerable in our society.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
...but I think what he has done in the past is a big deal.
Why? That's something I've always wondered, why it mattered that politician X smoked dope in high-school, or candidate Y used to be violent. What should matter in politics, at the very least, is the following:
1) Their policies and positions
2) Their ability to lead and do the job

What they used to be like, or what they are like shouldn't matter unless it happens to affect those two things.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I'd be more worried that this is all they could find on Romney. Isn't there something Romney has done that would be questionable? I mean damn, is he a space alien?

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Why? That's something I've always wondered, why it mattered that politician X smoked dope in high-school, or candidate Y used to be violent. What should matter in politics, at the very least, is the following:
1) Their policies and positions
2) Their ability to lead and do the job

What they used to be like, or what they are like shouldn't matter unless it happens to affect those two things.
Why? Because he's a Republican, that's why. If he were a Democrat then his past would not matter. When Bill Clinton ran against Bush 41 it didn't matter that Bush served in the military defending our country while Clinton spent his time dodging the draft and smoking weed. If it were the other way around, it would matter.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Why? Because he's a Republican, that's why. If he were a Democrat then his past would not matter. When Bill Clinton ran against Bush 41 it didn't matter that Bush served in the military defending our country while Clinton spent his time dodging the draft and smoking weed. If it were the other way around, it would matter.
But it shouldn't matter in any case. Doesn't matter if the candidate is republican, democrat, or one of the 3rd party candidates, all that should matter is where the guy stands and if he can do the job. Same thing goes for your example, both Bush's and Clinton's pasts shouldn't have mattered.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
But it shouldn't matter in any case. Doesn't matter if the candidate is republican, democrat, or one of the 3rd party candidates, all that should matter is where the guy stands and if he can do the job. Same thing goes for your example, both Bush's and Clinton's pasts shouldn't have mattered.
Generally speaking I agree with you. If someone had a really bad past it would probably affect my voting for said person. Someone experimenting with drugs is not a bad past in my opinion. Getting involved in organized crime and the traffic of narcotics on a high level, then it would be a bad past in my opinion.