• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Missouri town haunted by mysterious light

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A photographer has lifted the lid on a famously unexplained light phenomenon that appears in an area of the Missouri known as the Devil's Promenade
Locals in the Ozarks hills say they have seen the light and heard the tales of it all their lives.
The name of the area is the title of the series, created by artists Lara Shipley and Antone Dolezal,- but the mysterious apparition itself is known to the townspeople in southwest Missouri as the Spook Light.

The Devil's Promenade: Haunting photos document an unexplained light phenomenon and the inhabitants of an Ozarks town where it appears | Mail Online
I really don't know what these people have been seeing all these years but my Grandmother use to tell me stories of seeing balls of light out over the field or in the road. I think they have now proven that was caused by swamp gas. In this case I doubt its swamp gas so I'm wondering if what these people are seeing is caused by shell gas. I would blame it on all the drugs they seem to be doing in that area but this has been going on for years. The corp of engineers investigated this phenomenon back in the 1940's but came up with no clue as to what was causing it.

I was wondering if things like this go on in other countries or if you have ever witnessed something like this?

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I'm pretty sure there can be some type of scientific explanation for these lights. It doesn't seem as spooky to me really. And the people in that article seem really weird. Maybe it's nuclear gasses. :-/

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have to be honest - this is possibly one of the dumbest paranormal things I have EVER seen, this is not a slight on you Hilander but how this is seen as a "ghostly presence" when in fact it simply looks like someone with a very highly powerful flash that can be bought at any AV or Camera Store then I call BS on, this is not creepy or spooky, it's dumb and how this made it into the news is beyond me.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Pretty cool, whether it is real or not it makes a nice story to tell. I love paranormal stuff.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I recently watched a documentary show (I think it's called "Is it Real?"). People in the paranormal community would say that orbs of light are proof of a paranormal presence, but they proved that the same affect can be achieved my stomping on the ground hard and stirring up dust...however this was spots that showed up on the camera, so it's different. However, my point, even though it's taking me ages to get to it, is that there is probably a scientific explanation for it.

Not that I don't believe in the paranormal, because I do. I just don't believe there is proof.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't see this as proof either, I think its caused by gas. I believe in the paranormal but not everything is paranormal just because you don't know what caused it.

I've taken a lot of pictures around some really old abandoned cemeteries that were close to where the people lived and have never gotten an orb.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I've taken a lot of pictures around some really old abandoned cemeteries that were close to where the people lived and have never gotten an orb.
I actually got a spooky pic of an orb once when I was on a "ghost tour" with my friend. The tour ended in a cemetery at midnight, but that's not where I got the orb. I got the orb in one of the haunted houses we went in. It was spooky because I took about 5 pictures in quick succession and the middle one was the only one with an orb. Still though, the whole group had just passed that area on the stairs and there would have been a lot of dust and static.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I actually got a spooky pic of an orb once when I was on a "ghost tour" with my friend. The tour ended in a cemetery at midnight, but that's not where I got the orb. I got the orb in one of the haunted houses we went in. It was spooky because I took about 5 pictures in quick succession and the middle one was the only one with an orb. Still though, the whole group had just passed that area on the stairs and there would have been a lot of dust and static.
When I took the pictures of the cemetery it was a wooded area and the wind was blowing. I really thought I would at least get a dust particle but it didn't happen. I'm wondering if flash isn't used if you will get them.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
This thing was first seen all the way back in 1881! That's before electricity became popular. It looks like the most common legitimate explanation is that they're the headlights of a highway about three miles past the spot where the lights are seen. The cars drive directly at where the lights are seen.

Creepy? Yes. Supernatural? No.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This thing was first seen all the way back in 1881! That's before electricity became popular. It looks like the most common legitimate explanation is that they're the headlights of a highway about three miles past the spot where the lights are seen. The cars drive directly at where the lights are seen.

Creepy? Yes. Supernatural? No.
I'm very familiar with the Ozarks and they could of very well used a car to get these pictures but there aren't many places you can see headlights for three miles because of the terrain and trees. A tornado will sneak up on you.

Since this started back in the 1800's I think shell gas could have something to do with it. As someone that has seen a ghost I'm not going to say for sure its not a haunting but I think its unlikely. Considering the fact drugs are so rampant in that part of Missouri who knows what they are seeing and why.