Missing work or school due to the death of a pet

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Smelnick, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

I was listening to the radio the other day and one of the dj's posed the question 'Should be people get to take a day off due to the death of their pet'

Personally, I say no. Its just an animal. Bury it, get over it, and pick up a new one on the way home the next day. It makes no sense to lose a day of pay just because your dog died.

2. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

But to some people it's not just a pet, it's a huge emotional attachment, a friend even. I'm not saying I agree with time off work, and for many people a pet really is just a pet that they can get over quickly, but it's not like that for everyone. Some consider their pet as another member of the family.

3. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I can see it being abused. Heck, even my mother used that excuse to get away from a family reunion. :hah: However, if kids are allowed to take a day off because of the death of people close to them (like family), then they should be able to do it when their beloved pet dies. I know a lot of people who are more attached to their pets than to some of their relatives.

4. Dragon

Dragon Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

Here's the thing though. Lets say that you are the only one living in the house and no one else lives with you and now you have a dead pet. Lets say its a dog or a cat. Your just going to leave the corpse in your house and let it smell till you get home?

I would not miss work but I would call my boss and tell them that I will be late for work because I have a dead dog and that I need to get rid of the body and I am sure they will be understanding.

5. Jeanie

Jeanie still nobody's bitch V.I.P. Lifetime

Should it be a given day off, like for a funeral? No, but if that's what the person chooses to do, no one should give them any shit about it.

6. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I think they should have the optoion. I would be devestated if me kitteh died. :( It's their choice to lose a day of pay or not.

7. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

Losing a pet for some people may be shock. Still, taking time off to mourn isn't practical in the business environment in the sense that your employer will get the impresion your pet is more important than work.

8. AnitaKnapp

AnitaKnapp It's not me, it's you. V.I.P. Lifetime

I agree. No, I don't think employers should give you bereavement pay for the loss of a pet...but you better believe if my dog died, I would call in to take a couple of personal days. And in my current position, I have vacation/sick pay so I wouldn't lose any money.

9. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

I personally don't think it should be a day off, but I think it has the same effect of losing a real family member, because I personally consider my dogs a family member.

I remember when my first dog passed away, I was in fourth grade, and I was in class and the teacher was talking about dogs and such, I couldn't take it anymore so I had to leave the classroom.

10. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

I think the death of a pet can be horrible and devistating for some people.

I don't think that people should be given a day off of work for it, but I can understand if people do take the day off for it, just to get themselves together and such. When my cat died I never took a day off school for it. I went into school then next and and just had to deal with it.