• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Missing Classes

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
When I was in High School I would do almost anything to get a day off, and it seemed like the best thing ever. Now that I'm at University, and whether or not I go to classes is completely up to me I find myself not wanting to miss any. It's so much harder now to catch up when you get behind, and I try not to miss any of my classes. I only skip one if I'm REALLY sick and can't go in. I missed one last Friday because I was too sick, and now I'm already behind and it sucks.

Do you find your sick day/skipping habits changed between High School and Uni/College?

Misdoubt

Registered Member
I was the same way in High School. Besides it being an open campus school and attendance wasn't really something they kept track of (I got marked as being there even when I wasn't haha) it was incredibly easy to just, do others. I was at a point where I transferred to one of the, if the the, lowest end schools in the state and there was nothing for me to learn there, or rightly spend my time doing there, I only did so to make going to college easier because the place was literally right down the hill, you could walk out and look at the four story daycare center of a school complex.

I was already bridging to college at that point as well, so instead of going to High School to sit in a class or two for about 10 minutes each while I did the work and then left, I'd often get the teachers to give me the weeks work in one day and do all of it. Then I wouldn't go for the rest of the week and instead I would spend more time at college or working, etc.

I never really wanted to miss any college classes and I haven't missed many of them at all, it's a different ball park.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
My highschool was strict when it comes to attendance, if you weren't there 90% of the time, you'll get asked to repeat the Year level or move schools. Many people obviously moved.

As for Uni, I missed way too many classes last semester and paid hard for it, I don't mind missing lectures but it's the tutes that people got to attend.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm in college too and I find myself not wanting to miss any classes either. There's always a lot of new material being taught and it can be hard to catch up. I have had those classes that are just way too easy and I've decided that I don't feel like going to that particular class, it happens on occasion. I show up for class pretty much all the time though.

To put high school into perspective. I got mono my Junior year and missed a solid month of school. When I got back to school people thought I had moved or something. :lol: When I went to my teachers to get all the work I had to make up literally all of them literally told me not to worry about it and compensated my grade for 100% of the work I had missed or simply took all of the points I had missed out of my final grade. (I think this may have been by order of the principal who seemed to like me) I guess that's just one of the many advantages of being known by all of your teachers to be a hard working good kid. :)

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
High School: I only had one or two days where I just didn't feel like going and my family respected that decision. I rarely missed days and was always up on my school work so this wasn't a big deal. I never skipped a class.

College: I took the habit of skipping classes in courses I was up to date on and where attendance didn't hurt my grade. That led to me skipping a lot of courses and was almost definitely why I wasn't successful in college. I was too worried about things outside of my courses. I once passed a class by only going to three classes the entire semester and simply turning my work in. That professor understood that my skills were far beyond the course and was glad to have me in class to assist my classmates with their assignments.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
My high school was pretty strict about attendance, and so were my parents actually, so I rarely missed any days. My mom did call me out of school one day so I could stay home and watch the NCAA Tournament, so that was awesome. But I ditched school one time and got in pretty huge trouble for it, so that never happened again.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
Back in elementary school, I missed school mainly due to sickness. Back in first grade, I missed school on a Friday due to oversleeping!

In intermediate school, 7th grade was the only time I didn't miss school.

In High School--from 9th-11th grade, I attended all days in school, despite my sickness, because with the classes being harder, I knew I had a duty to attend to. The only time I got sick was a month before graduation after I caught the flu.

In college, I only missed class when I was sick.

Iris

rainbow 11!
from the day I started school until the day I graduated, I missed a lot of class.

At first, it started with me sleeping in or my mom just being too lazy to take me. There were days where i'd miss the bus by seconds and I'd tell my mom and she say I could stay home. There were days where I would pretend to sleep in and I could stay home.

There were days where she was supposed to take me, I was too young for a bus according to them or we lived too close but it was too far to walk on my own, and she'd let me stay home. there was a time where she had to go see the school board because i missed so much school. I was really young. under ten? but her excuse was that I had lice so much that she was constantly treating me. not sure if it's true or not. I know I had it a few times but I don't if she is exaggerating or my memory sucks. either way she got out of it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
from the day I started school until the day I graduated, I missed a lot of class.

At first, it started with me sleeping in or my mom just being too lazy to take me. There were days where i'd miss the bus by seconds and I'd tell my mom and she say I could stay home. There were days where I would pretend to sleep in and I could stay home.

There were days where she was supposed to take me, I was too young for a bus according to them or we lived too close but it was too far to walk on my own, and she'd let me stay home. there was a time where she had to go see the school board because i missed so much school. I was really young. under ten? but her excuse was that I had lice so much that she was constantly treating me. not sure if it's true or not. I know I had it a few times but I don't if she is exaggerating or my memory sucks. either way she got out of it.
That's crazy, my Mum was the complete opposite, I basically had to have lost an arm or something to get out of class. I could only miss if I was sick, REALLY sick. My Mums a nurse so she always knew if I was faking.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I only missed if I was sick and in elementary school I missed a lot. I remember the principle driving me home once I was so ill. He kept having to tell me to wake up so I could show him where I lived.

When I got to high school not so much. Sometimes, especially when I became a senior, I would go even if I was sick as long as it wasn't serious.