Minors may be banned from buying energy drinks in NJ

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I think that they should. I have seen first hand what to many energy drinks will do to young people. I buddy used to drink red bull on a daily basis. At first he was drinking one a day, then two, then all of a sudden five a day. One day while working he collapsed and now has a heart condition. They said that if his body did not shut down that he would of died. Pretty scary.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Energy drinks are bad but banning them seems to be a little much, don't ya think? Soda is bad and they havent banned that yet.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Everything has to be solved with a ban. Typical:rolleyes:
Right...

Maybe the parents should look after their kids more and tell them they have to limit their in take and that a lot of it can be bad for them. People need to just be a little more responsible is all. Banning is extreme.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think that they should. I have seen first hand what to many energy drinks will do to young people. I buddy used to drink red bull on a daily basis. At first he was drinking one a day, then two, then all of a sudden five a day. One day while working he collapsed and now has a heart condition. They said that if his body did not shut down that he would of died. Pretty scary.
That's pretty scary stuff. I've heard similar stories as well.

Oddly enough I don't know if banning them would fix this... I mean it would essentially just be listing energy drinks among the drinks you can buy once you turn 21. (Unless energy drinks would be available at 18, but even so..)

I have never had an energy drink. By energy drink I refer to the highly caffeinated drinks such as Red Bull, Monster, etc. I just never felt a desire to buy one. I guess I always assumed they would be super sweet and I can't stand overly sweet drinks.

If I wasn't allowed to buy them until I was 18 or 21 then I'd probably be a lot more inclined to try them. Since there are no restrictions on them I really never thought much or cared about such drinks.

I think banning them would just make more people want them. Look at drinking laws in the US vs. Europe and you'll see why banning energy drinks might just make more people get ahold of them and overdo it.

And it's just plain stupid to use a few stories of kids drinking too much of them as a reason to ban them outright. Or you could call it, misleading vividness.