Minnesota SC rules AL FRANKEN the winner of the 2008 Senate election

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Kazmarov, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Minnesota Supreme Court Rules On Coleman's Appeal: He Lost, Franken Won The Election | TPMDC

Democrats now have 60 senators, a filibuster-proof majority assuming they all vote the same.

2. fleinn

fleinn 101010

..is that including Specter as well? Anyway - seems they can be trusted to vote the same way on presidential power and the rule of law, at least to some extent. Have anyone started talking about frustrating the President on extraordinary rendition, and so on, yet..?

3. Kazmarov

Well, if he loses democratic approval, he'll lose his primary because of how unpopular he is (only 50% of Penn Dems like him). So he'll suck it up.

4. fleinn

fleinn 101010

Right, Specter is invested in appealing to democrats in general.. ..but he broke with the republicans because he can't go with their program - while what he's pushed in committee and so on is pretty much what a fairly large part of the democratic senators have pushed from the beginning. ..But I guess we'll see if that's allowed now that the party actually is in power..

I suppose.. Specter might be an indicator of what takes place. If he's incompatible with both parties - at least when it comes to committee work and civil liberties - then it's a description of how actual centrism isn't involved any more.. But I wonder how it plays out..

5. Kazmarov

the left will not vote for him if he opposes what he currently does. Since they don't select a president in 2010 they can and will stay home. He only won in 2004 by 2%. He's screwed if he doesn't scamper left.

6. fleinn

fleinn 101010

:) mm. But what is "left" going to be, with Obama taking flak for perpetuating Bush- policies.. I'm imagining some sort of clash with the Democratic leadership over this - so what will the DNC believe will be embraced by the voters..?