Mini T-Rex Fossil Found

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by Mirage, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

2. Cyberleader

Cyberleader Registered Member

Thats fascinating. So T Rex's tiny forelimbs were very possibly quite helpful before it evolved into the larger Rex we all know and fear and they became useless as they didn't evolve into anything more useful.
    If I could turn back time, I'd study and make a career of this stuff.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Yep, although the limbs still look fairly small on this one according to the picture on CNN:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the forelimbs aren't nearly as bad (for the victim) as the velociraptor's would have been:

[​IMG]

4. Twitch

Twitch Registered Member

That's pretty cool.

How can something weigh 15 pounds less than me but be 3 feet taller?

5. Gevok

Gevok Registered Member

I think it's a mutated raptor or something. Or a different species of T-Rex.

6. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

With the head of that, all signs point to a T-Rex... but then with the body it points to a Raptor. Maybe they just mated and that's what came out?

7. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

From what I've read, it lived well prior to T-Rex, and is thought to be an evolutionary precursor. "Tyrannosaurus Rex" is the name of the largest known species in the Tyrannosauridae family, which the little Tyrannosaur belongs to (i.e. it's not a Tyrannosaurus Rex). I'm not really sure if the timescales match up, but going off the appearance of the little Tyrannosaur, it seems a fair speculation to say Tyrannosaurs could have shared a common ancestor with Raptors.

Edit: I looked it up, and it looks like Velociraptors showed up around 6 million years after the Tyrannosaurs were gone. Not sure what bearing that has on anything, but it seems like a fun fact, regardless.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  8. Cyberleader

Cyberleader Registered Member

For one thing, hollow bones. Only Birds, Dinosaurs & Pterosaurs have them.
    Second thing, your frame and physique differs quite a bit too from the mini-rex.

Different species of T-Rex, not really, but an evolutionary ancestor.

Yeh, it all points to a common evolutionary ancestor.

9. Nick-Aotmzgin

Nick-Aotmzgin Registered Member

the universe Scientists and archaeological exploration progressing and discovering is truly remarkable dinosaurs are such a diffcult finding i mean Wow!
    *Bows*