Mini-Rant #1: The Patriots

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Okay, so first of all, I'm not a bandwagoner. It's important to note that because with any team that has acquired serious acclaim, you're bound to get the jackoffs who refuse to call themselves new and insist that they've "just not paid much attention lately." I've been watching for almost a decade now (Since I was about 11) so I've enjoyed the Patriots while they've sucked and watched them rise to power with Brady at the helm. I've also been a Red Sox fan for about 12 years, seeing numerous games and watching most of them on TV, meaning I got to deal with the massive increase in their bandwagon fans. Needless to say, I've dealt with this crap before.

Now, what I don't quite understand is the whole "Spygate" (how cute" controversy and how it's such a big deal. Let me explain why.

Everyone loves to hate the winning team, especially if they win a lot, such as the Pats, Yanks (of yesterday that is), or Sox. So when the Patriots were caught filming defensive signals from the NY Jets, it was big news because so many people couldn't figure out the Pats. This gave those losing teams a reason to feel better, because now they could just lie to themselves and convince themselves that they were cheated. Here's the problem though:

"Spying" is part of the game itself

Look in the press box, do you think all those scouts are just watching the game? Hell no! Most of them are scouting the sidelines (which believe it or not, is legal). It's true, you can hire a guy to sit in the press box with high powered binoculars and relay signals to the coach. It's simply part of the game and has been for a long team. Teams usually have a dummy coach or two along with the real one just to mess up the opposing team's stream of play. So now that we know this, why are the Patriots under such scrutiny? I'll tell you why:

They're the Patriots.

Plain and simple. If it had been some shitty team like the Dolphins, no one would care. But because a big name team (possibly the biggest next to the Colts in the past ten years) was caught skimming the rules by taping, it's big news, even though it really isn't.

Bottom line, the Patriots broke a rule that isn't even something that is all that much of a big deal. You can stare down the opposing team, you just can't tape. Although, that's not such a big deal if you've got a team of scouts watching the opposition. I guess I just can't wrap my head around why this is such a big deal.

Can anyone tell me why this is such a big deal? Everyone spies, every team cheats, it may not be an excuse but it's the truth and I'm sick of hearing arrogant reporters and dumb-assed bloggers treating the Patriots like the dirtiest team in the history of the game.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It's pretty simple. The media, E!SPN in particular, blows everything out of proportion. Instead of reporting the news like they used to do, now they create their own news hoping to have an exciting story to give to viewers.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Yeah, that of course is that true problem. I'm just sick of it because as a Pats fan, they're getting shit on by the media and now everyone thinks they're crooks.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've been a die hard Ohio State fan for about 15 years, so I can relate. Every time a player gets in trouble with the law or if there are rumors or something, all of a sudden they're all over the media and everyone's calling them criminals and that they run a dirty program.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
Here is the problem: They got caught. It isn't the crime itself as much as it is the fact that someone (Magenius) who was formerly employed by the organization was getting spanked and decided to blow the whistle. Roger Goodell has taken the hard line principle role towards the players and he at least has to pretend he is doing the same for the coaches and owners even though that is all an act. So he sent out a specific memo prior to the season saying X is not legal, and they continued to do X as if no memo was ever sent(misinterpretation). Goodell had to do somehting or else he is rendered powerless completely. Now I think that Matt Walsh has very little credibility in terms of the things that fly out of his mouth, but he made one good point. If the Patriots were(for the sake of argument the only ones in the NFL doing this)told before hand that they'd get a 750,000 fine if they got caught and then they'd win 3 Super Bowls as a result you don't think they would have cheated anyway. Any organization would take that deal. Obviously there is no way to know you'd win. But it isn't unreasonable to think that they had an unfair advantage, especially with the way the story has been presented overall. So let's say half the teams in the NFL did the exact same things even after they got the memo. Do you think anybody feels bad for Barry Bonds? Have to get caught to be the villain. Since there have been no other reports of this activity, the Patriots have to carry the water.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's just a lot of bullshit though. The rant is really aimed at the media and how they spin this story to make the Patriots look like a bunch of criminals and scumbags (the cute little "spygate" tag is especially annoying).

Although, the dumbassed NFL "fans" who jump on the "Patriots are cheaters" bandwagon are just as annoying.

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
The Boston Herald reporting false information about the Rams Super Bowl as news didn't help much either. It is a shame what levels different forms of media will compromise their code of ethics to be the 1st one with a story. I follow the NFL pretty close. If it makes you feel any better, I'd heard rumors of the patriots 'stealing' signals years before any of this "spygate" media frenzy started. That's why I used the steroids analogy. I'm sure they weren't the only ones, but the average fan only sees what ESPN feeds them.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Now that all of the "information" and tapes are out I'm starting to think maybe BB wasn't lying or was, at most, stretching the truth when he said that he thought what he was recording wasn't against the rules.

The Patriots have an excellent coaching staff and front office which filters down to the players. That is how they won three Super Bowls and had the first 16-0 season.

I still dislike the team, I always have, but not because of "Spygate" anymore.