• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PC Games Minecraft! (SUPER fun game)

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty bad ass. Simple, yet horribly expansive. One of those games that seems to have endless potential due to its low expect-ability.
I should mention that the game has an almost unlimited random map generator. It can generate a map that is at least eight times the size of the surface of the Earth.

:D

Alpha costs €9.95 (£8.69, $13.80), and the full product will cost €20.
Not to mention you get all future versions of the game absolutely free if you purchase it in Alpha mode.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I saw on the Minecraft Homepage that the Beta should include a Multiplayer aspect...

So does that mean the Alpha is an entirely Single Player sandbox kinda game? If you cant tell I'm weighing the amount of time this game will suck out of my life vs. the value of 15-20 bucks :hah:

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I saw on the Minecraft Homepage that the Beta should include a Multiplayer aspect...

So does that mean the Alpha is an entirely Single Player sandbox kinda game? If you cant tell I'm weighing the amount of time this game will suck out of my life vs. the value of 15-20 bucks :hah:
No, there's a working multiplayer aspect. I play it regularly. It's still under development though - Notch (the game maker) is working to bring it to the same level as the single player Survival. At the moment, there are no working monster systems, there's player invulnerability, and several glitches, all of which are supposedly being fixed with an upcoming major update.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
ok so I'm interested in the Survival mode.

Is it continuous? or is it basically an Arcade style "Survive one night and get a top score" kinda play?

Basically what I'm asking is, if I d/l the game, build a fort, will my fort be a waste of time or will I be able to continue building onto my fort?

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
As far as the multiplayer aspect works, there are a number of servers out there already. Including a Penny Arcade server, which I have a map for.

http://www.fusedcreations.com/adam/colrap_render_013.jpg
------
For single player, you build a world and it goes from there. It's continuous.

You can die, but it's not a game ender. All that happens is that you drop what's currently in your inventory and you respawn at the starting spawn point. But unless you destroy them, nothing actually gets erased in the world.

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Ok so then my last question (I'm basically sold on the game now) is....

Where is the content saved? On the Server or on the PC?

I ask because I bounce between 2 PC's alot. So Would I be able to access the same world from my Desktop while on my Laptop? Or Would I end up with 2 different worlds due to one game saving on my Desktop and another world that is saved on my laptop?

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
As far as I know it's the server....you should be able to access your worlds from any computer with the application downloaded, since you have to log in to play.

I could be wrong though.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
Unfortunately, all single player worlds are saved to your PC. I'm currently trying to figure out where they're saved, however, because where you keep the .exe and where everything is actually kept are different.
------
Found it. If you're playing on a Windows machine, you can find it in \Documents & Settings\%username&\Application Data\.minecraft\saves

Last edited:

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
if its truly that expansive... I'd have to imagine its saved on the hd rather than the server. But then again if you have to actually log in.... that does kinda hint that its saved on the server.

If I get some time I may download it here on the desktop. I'd prefer not to put it on my laptop as that poor thing is getting bogged down like crazy. I've got way to many games on it now and I cant make the decision with which to get rid of yet :hah:

Thanks for the info guys.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
if its truly that expansive... I'd have to imagine its saved on the hd rather than the server. But then again if you have to actually log in.... that does kinda hint that its saved on the server.
The logging in just allows the system to determine if you're a free player or a paid player. All you download is a launcher, which then downloads the files to your PC.