• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Militia took over Federal Building in Oregon

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Dwight Hammond, 73, and Steven Hammond, 46, said they lit the fires in 2001 and 2006 to reduce the growth of invasive plants and protect their property from wildfires.

The two were convicted of the arsons three years ago and served time — the father three months, the son one year. But a judge ruled their terms were too short under federal law and ordered them back to prison for about four years each.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...onal-wildlife-refuge_56888a61e4b0b958f65be382

When I first saw the headlines I though "Oh no not them again" but how can a judge decide to give someone more time after they have already served their time.

Thoughts?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
They are terrorists. Thugs. Goons. But Syrian orphans are a bigger threat to the US apparently.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I think there's a segment of the population in the U.S. that desperately wants to be oppressed by the government but have it much, much better than they think. These are the same people that think Pres. Obama would take their guns away, and still seem to think that even though you could go out for fast food and accidentally come back with a purchased gun in this country. If the additional charges were unjust, appeal, protest, etc. Doing this is asking for the next Waco. My guess is that the same people who were so quick to call Ferguson protestors/looters terrorists will call these armed freaks patriots.

I don't care what your point of view is or whether I agree with it - peaceful protest is the way to go IMO. This comes off as childish.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
This militia group shouldn't have taken over the federal building and should have stuck to protesting the new sentence these guys got.

What gets me is how can a judge after you served the time you were given in the first place come back and decide you need to do more time for the same crime. At what point do you become free of the legal system if a judge can do this. I find that as alarming as this militia taking over a building.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I don't get that either Hilander. I've never heard of that. So could a judge just tell the alfluenza kid that - the jury handed you your verdict and you served it, but I've decided that you're going to the electric chair? Could a judge tell me I've paid my $25 seat belt fine, but he's decided I should pay $200 more?
The idea that a 73 year old guy is getting put away for 4 years for a fire after he's already served his time makes me angry too. I'm not going to drive to OR with my shotgun but still, its not right.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Seems the problem came in when they were not given the minimum sentence to begin with. Which really they deserved if they did what I've been reading but still to go back later after they served their time and give them more.

The jury convicted both of the Hammonds of using fire to destroy federal property for a 2001 arson known as the Hardie-Hammond Fire, located in the Steens Mountain Cooperative Management and Protection Area. Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out “Strike Anywhere” matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to “light up the whole country on fire.” One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.
http://wildfiretoday.com/2016/01/03...ational-wildlife-service-refuge-headquarters/

Seems twitter users are making fun of the militia, calling them YallQaeda.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2016/01/04...roup-occupying-the-wildlife-refuge-in-oregon/

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I think there's a segment of the population in the U.S. that desperately wants to be oppressed by the government but have it much, much better than they think. These are the same people that think Pres. Obama would take their guns away, and still seem to think that even though you could go out for fast food and accidentally come back with a purchased gun in this country. If the additional charges were unjust, appeal, protest, etc. Doing this is asking for the next Waco. My guess is that the same people who were so quick to call Ferguson protestors/looters terrorists will call these armed freaks patriots.

I don't care what your point of view is or whether I agree with it - peaceful protest is the way to go IMO. This comes off as childish.
My guess is the same people that said the looters and rioters in Baltimore were just expressing their First Amendment rights are now calling these guys thugs and terrorists.

It should be pointed out this protest has been largely peaceful, unlike what we saw in Baltimore.

By the way, where in the US can you go out for fast food and accidentally come back with a purchased gun in this country? I want to know specifically where this is possible.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
They are terrorists. Thugs. Goons. But Syrian orphans are a bigger threat to the US apparently.
Yeah, NOBODY, literally NOBODY thinks children are a threat to the US. If you seriously believe people think that, you really need to expand where you get your information from, or work on your reading comprehension skills.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Seems the problem came in when they were not given the minimum sentence to begin with. Which really they deserved if they did what I've been reading but still to go back later after they served their time and give them more.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2016/01/03...ational-wildlife-service-refuge-headquarters/

Seems twitter users are making fun of the militia, calling them YallQaeda.

http://wildfiretoday.com/2016/01/04...roup-occupying-the-wildlife-refuge-in-oregon/
That sounds like BLM is pleaded their case post-trial. They had a chance to prove the ranchers were pouching and to prove they endangered lives and they apparently failed to do so in front of the judge. Now years later they get a different judge to retro-actively persecute them. If BLM's position is the orginal judge effed up, then they need to go after the original judge.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
That sounds like BLM is pleaded their case post-trial. They had a chance to prove the ranchers were pouching and to prove they endangered lives and they apparently failed to do so in front of the judge. Now years later they get a different judge to retro-actively persecute them. If BLM's position is the orginal judge effed up, then they need to go after the original judge.
That is what I was thinking, why not go after the original judge. He is the one that messed up.