• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Military Time or Standard?

Hiei

The Hierophant
Which time frame do you prefer to use? Do you like to use the 24 hour military time or the 12 hour standard time?

I operate on military time mostly because when I was a medic, that's what we went on. I got so used to it that I just decided to keep going by military time in my personal routine. I find it SO much easier to understand than some people like to admit. When I was first learning military time all I would do is subtract 12 from whatever time it was past noon to get the standard time. Now I'll just look at my watch and automatically know what time it is.

How about you guys? Do you understand military time? Do you think it's the most absurd thing ever?

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Which time frame do you prefer to use? Do you like to use the 24 hour military time or the 12 hour standard time?

I operate on military time mostly because when I was a medic, that's what we went on. I got so used to it that I just decided to keep going by military time in my personal routine. I find it SO much easier to understand than some people like to admit. When I was first learning military time all I would do is subtract 12 from whatever time it was past noon to get the standard time. Now I'll just look at my watch and automatically know what time it is.

How about you guys? Do you understand military time? Do you think it's the most absurd thing ever?
Ha, I was just telling Tucker how we use 24h clock here.

I prefer that because there's no need to explain whether it's in the morning or afternoon or whether 12 is midday or midnight. Also some go overboard and say it's "9am in the morning" :lol:

I guess for those who aren't used to it, it takes time to adjust especially with analog clocks you only see 1-12.

Impact

V.I.P.
I've always used both, so I don't really have a preference. I don't find it hard to understand either

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
I can understand both perfectly well, but I prefer military time for much the same reason as ysabel said. It stops confusion between night and day time.

k3rm0r

Registered Member
i am from Norway in Europe and all we use military time as you call, so my answer would be military time=)
Exactly the same :), but we usualy say the time using 12 hour standard time. so it´s not like if ppl ask u what time it is and u answere 17:30.. then u sualy say 5:30. i understand military good ofc. 12 hour clock i do understand aswell.

Dabs

Registered Member
Definitely standard~
And all of our schools use standard, I think the kids would be totally confused if we used the other.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I go with the 12 hour standard clock since that's what most people in the U.S. use. It's not that hard to specify a.m. or p.m., but most of the time that isn't even necessary. Usually you can safely assume one or the other.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I go by military time. I was in the ROTC in all of my 4 years in highschool, and I never looked back.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Military time. It's easier to understand. When i look at a clock and see 4 and pm, i automatically know it's really 1600 hours. I also know it's 8 bells and the start of the first dog watch. Standard time is just too confusing.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think I've ever seen a clock anywhere in America that went by military time so yeah, standard.

I don't even bother with military.