• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Military Coup in Turkey

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
A military coup is underway in Turkey. Gunshots have been heard around the presidential palace and planes are flying low over Ankara. The US has been using Incrilik air base for airstrikes in Syria and there are US military personnel and civilians living in Turkey.
The White House issued a statement supporting the current Turkish government and said it will do everything possible to protect US citizens there.
The Bosphorus strait is also vital to NATO operations in the Black Sea.
Turkey coup: Live updates - CNN.com

Thoughts?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Here's hoping Turkey gets back on track to being a secular government, the West really needs that stability.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I'm not a huge fan of Erdogan either but who would own power in Turkey? It could be the Gulen or the PKK but it could also be Daesh. If it is Daesh then they could control the Bosphorus strait and Istanbul and Turkey could turn into another Syria.

The Kremlin stands with the Obama administration and wants Erdogan to win. Peskov said they would even allow asylum for Erdogan if the rebels own the coup.
But like the US, the first priority is to rescue citizens, embassy staff, and military personnel from the revolution. Turkey's a popular holiday location so I hope they get those people out of harm's way.

UPDATE
Turkish state TV TRT is back in the hands of the Turkish government.
Also, the tanks at Ataturk airport are retreating. Tis is probaly a failed coup.

EDIT
That was probaly the shortest failed coup in the history of the whole planet.
Still watching to see what Erdogan does next...

Last edited:

Crypticshock

Registered Member
That president is an ass. He destroys free speech. You can not make or spread jokes about him, not even meme's. You will lose your job AND get thrown in jail. He is on record saying that women are not equal to men and if you think so, that's un-natural. He said that while speaking during a women's convention... just following the nomenclature for that area where women are nothing.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A senior EU source monitoring the situation said: "It looks like a relatively well orchestrated coup by a significant body of the military, not just a few colonels. They've got control of the airports and are expecting control over the TV station imminently. They control several strategic points in Istanbul.
Turkey army says it seizes power; Erdogan says: 'We will overcome this'

Sounds like the coup has a real chance.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
There have already been wounded in the Turkish Parliament building and probaly other people out in the streets.
Erdogan is a total authoritarian fascist but our own leaders have a different opinion about what's happening there now.

The United States declared its backing for Erdogan's government. Secretary of State John Kerry said he phoned the Turkish foreign minister and emphasized "absolute support for Turkey's democratically elected, civilian government and democratic institutions".
Turkey troops say they seize power; crowds answer Erdogan call to defy them

The coup was well planned but it's only a small faction of the army so it probably won't win - especially if the US and Russia step in.

EDIT
19 casualties, so far, and an explosion at the Parliament building.
Turkey coup: Government claim to have restored control as Erdogan flies back in but 17 police killed in Ankara and at least two dead in violent Istanbul protests

Last edited:

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Have I read correctly that there were tanks running full speed in the city going over cars? This is scary stuff. Regardless of who's at fault, the world's a scary place lately.