Microsoft unveils instaload.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by dDave, Jul 1, 2010.

1. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I was on Facebook and I happened across this.

It turns out that it was pretty interesting.

You'll have to read it on the website, it has pictures that I can't duplicate.

source: Software superpower launches new, uh, battery installation technology

It's basically a battery slot that can be used in either direction because of a unique design. I kind of like the idea.

Thoughts?

2. fractal

fractal Eye see what you did ther

It looks like a useless invention, but can someone explain how it works. I didn't understand their explanation.

3. ATARIGUY

ATARIGUY Beermister

Very very interesting, I wonder if it will catch on ??

4. careless_monkey

careless_monkey Registered Member

I hope it catches on. It sounds interesting, but yeah it will take time to catch on. Hell I would never have noticed about it if it wasn't for this thread.

5. konboye

konboye Registered Member

Smells of desperation, they just suck at making smart phones. So, batteries are the next best thing? Lame.

6. careless_monkey

careless_monkey Registered Member

Not anymore. With WP7 they are back with a strong contender. Microsoft already have 12000+ developers working on the WP7 with the phone actually not released all over the world yet.

7. konboye

They did right on WP7, ie for the usability, but where is the innovation? Apple had the all-touchscreen-no-button innovation. What is Microsoft going to come up with? By the way, I love their Kinect but other than that, they have been lukewarm, even boring.

8. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I don't consider that much of an innovation myself. There's no precision with it, as it relies on the electrical currents of the body, so a stylus is out of the question. Further, those who have impaired vision are going to find it difficult (or impossible depending on the severity of the impairment) to use the phone simply because there's (a) no tactile feedback, and (b) nothing to make up for the lack of tactile feedback. Once they come up with a 100% touch-screen phone even the blind can use, then I'll call it an innovation.

As for the Kinect, all I'm seeing is the kind of things I can get on the Wii. And I already have a Wii. Move already beats out the Kinect, simply because Microsoft didn't realise until late in the development cycle that people are probably not going to want to stand up all the time to use it.

...oh yeah, the OP. I can see it being good for simplicity, but to be honest, I never had a problem with the original method myself. Still, decent enough idea.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  9. konboye

The Kinect is definitely going to outlive the Wii. The smartphones are not made with blind-user adaptability in mind, there is just to much going on with apps and other functions to add that.

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

That's going to be hard to do. From what I see, the point of the Kinect thus far is to do the things the Wii does (i.e. attract the "casual" market). As such, it has three problems -

(1) Those looking for Wii games already have a Wii
    (2) Most 360 gamers who don't have a Wii probably aren't after what the Wii offers
    (3) Those who, for some reason, don't yet have a Wii but want one are more likely to just pick the Wii over the 360 simply because it's cheaper.

Myself, I fall under category 1. I have a 360 and a Wii, and honestly? With Kinect? All I see are Wii games with HD. I don't have a need for something that's going to cost me an extra £130 that'll do what I already have.

There's also the fact that I'm more biased towards Move simply because one has buttons. I don't see how you're going to make, say, an FPS with Kinect without it controlling like...well, this.

YouTube - This is a FPS on Kinect