• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Games Microsoft to buy Mojang?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Microsoft 'In Serious Discussions' to Purchase Minecraft Dev Mojang - IGN

Microsoft -- the parent company of the Xbox and Windows brands -- is apparently "in serious discussions" to purchase Mojang, according to The Wall Street Journal. Mojang, of course, is best-known for its massively popular Minecraft series.

WSJ cites "a person with knowledge of the matter" in their story, and says the valuation of Mojang could be more than $2 billion. Microsoft and Mojang both declined to comment to WSJ; we've reached out to Mojang for additional comment.

Mojang, founded by developer Markus Persson in 2009, has two still-unreleased games in development -- Cobalt and Scrolls -- as well as Minecraft, which it's still endlessly iterating on with updates and ports.

Microsoft's investment to purchase Mojang, if true, would give the company complete control over not only the studio's upcoming games, but it's all-important, insanely lucrative Minecraft series. As of June, the game has sold over 54 million copies, and has actually sold best on consoles, which bodes well for Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

I think I would cry if this happens. The only thing worse would be if it was EA.

dDave

V.I.P.
Not all things that Microsoft does is bad. Still, Rareware, my former favorite developer, basically met it's end with Microsoft.

Hopefully Mojang would still be able to do what they do best (make Minecraft), there is still hope that Mjcrosoft won't wreck them.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I can't see Mojang letting this happen. Minecraft would never be what makes it great ever again. Microsoft would kill the modding side of things, the game would end up costing dick loads of money, and future updates would probably be released as things you have to pay for instead of just automatic updates. Microsoft is greedy and cares nothing of its consumers, and that would reflect in minecraft. Not to mention they'd probably turn it into a pay to win kind of game where the only way to access certain features would be to pay every month. They only care about money. I honestly can't see Mojang selling it to Microsoft because they know it would ruin their game.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
$2 billion though. I hope you're right though. I hope Mojang cares more about making awesome games exactly how THEY want them to be than they do about the money.

You're right on about what Microsoft would do to Minecraft. Instead of free automatic updates, they will probably want to release a whole new game every year. Minecraft 2, Minecraft 3, etc. Each costing $60. Custom skins? You'll probably have to pay for stuff like that.

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
I'd just move on to whatever the next thing is, then. Not the very second MS got Minecraft, maybe, but the second they started really fucking around with it. What Microsoft backed game out there actually has a legit modding community? Certainly not Halo, considering everything has to be done in their proprietary Forge Mode.

What would kill it for me is the inevitable end to regular updates, and the rise of pay DLC and in-game transactions. Because that's the only possible reason to pay $2 billion for this thing.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Here's an IGN article on the potential impact Microsoft could have on Minecraft, including best-case and worst-case scenarios.

How Microsoft Buying Mojang Could Change Minecraft Forever - IGN

To me, the article seems overly optimistic. I think the reality would be closer to their worst-case scenario. Especially this:

Next, Microsoft might figure out that once a gamer spends $27 on Minecraft for PC, Mojang makes essentially $0 more from them for life. Unless they buy some merch. To increase that revenue-per-user various real-money boosts and consumables are introduced. Keep your gear when you die. Get free diamond tools. People might complain, but revenue would climb. After that, it’s easy to see paid-exclusive block types introduced in version 2.0.
I can also see them making all future versions of the game exclusive to Xbox and Windows.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It would definitely become restricted to Xbox and Windows and the mods totally would suck. So would all the new games. This is one of the worst things that could happen to gaming.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
It's a sad day for Minecraft fans. Is there anyone who is actually excited about this acquisition? I doubt it.

RIP

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
It could end up a good (or at least non-affective) thing. Microsoft wouldn't dump $2.5B on something to completely ruin its momentum; last update took over a year to come out, so maybe new updates will come out faster now?