Microsoft & Sony "borrow" the Wii's Controller Concept

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by icegoat63, Jun 4, 2009.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Another glimpse from E3... it looks like the Xbox and Playstation will be having "Motion" Controllers soon. The Prototypes were demonstrated at the Electronic Entertainment Expo recently:

Recordpub.com - Breaking News, World & Local News, Sports & Multimedia

The Microsoft Side
    The Sony Side

2. viLky

viLky ykLiv

o_O;

Even though they "burrowed" the concept, at least they're making it better and more innovative. I approve of this.

What I would like to see (specially from Sony) a virtual helmet or body suit. Put it on and when you punch, you punch your opponent. Something a bit more innovative and intriguing. The Wii controller is good for now, but one of these companies needs to step it up and take it a step further. Or else there will be an overwhelming amount of Wii controller clones out there that people will get bored of it and want something new. Take advantage of it now!

Mason likes this.
  3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Taking from the Project Natal thread on this forum and my post on Anime Forum...

In all honesty, Natal? I'm going to have to see it in action to believe it. There are a number of problems I have with the tech demo.

1) The fighting game. I doubt many people are going to play like that, and from what we've "seen" so far, it feels as if you need to actually have some training in order to pull off anything complicated. Also, what's going to happen when your character is hit? It's going to go unresponsive, and that is going to be a major disconnect.

2) Facial recognition. The technology isn't perfect, there are a number of situations which cause it to fail (low or poor light, wearing sunglasses or anything else which partially covers the face, smiling). It's use in law enforcement and at airports has generally resulted in failed tests. So either Microsoft have suddenly perfected the technology so that it can be used in this way, or they're talking out of their rear and users are going to face a lot of problems getting this to work.

3) The football game. And how, exactly, are we going to pull this off if we don't have any space? Not to mention actually "kicking" the ball exactly how you want it will be hard.

4) Scanning your own gear. Now, scanning for objects can be done, take a look at the Assassins Creed 2 website. However, that requires them to have programmed the site to look for the specific symbols, it won't recognise anything else. So I'm a little interested in finding out how developers are meant to pull this off without problems (for example, hands obstructing the skateboard).

Now, thinking about (1) and (3) leads me to the following decision - most of the controlling will be similar to the Wiimote, where you don't get full control and the game instead interprets your actions. Which means it's probably going to end up like a gimmick.

4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Personally the motion sensing controllers don't do much for me at all. Sure they are good as a last resort for people who absolutely refuse to exercise unless it's while playing a videogame (Wii Fit, etc), but when I play a videogame I just want to sit there and relax.

Motion sensing is a fad that I hope will be gone soon. It's sad to see that other companies are picking up on this. I will definitely not get back into console gaming if it's just going to be a DDR-fest.

For example, I'd rather play basketball in real life vs pretend to shoot with an awkward shooting motion with a controller. Now that's just dumb.

5. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

I agree there are definitely issues with Project Natal. I wondered a lot about the football game I think it would difficult in kicking and punting. You brought up a lot of good points on the other aspects.

6. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

Looking back on my post, and thinking about a certain "game", I have thought of one way Natal could work.

It's called "Milo" and it's being developed by Peter Molyneux. Basically, it's meant to be a virtual boy that responds to your voice and, to some degree, your face. You can play with him, talk to him, give him scanned objects, etc.

But would it be a game? So far, general consensus on certain sites is that it could be used for therapy, but in terms of an actual game, not so much. In fact, the same sites went on to wonder, "How the hell can we fuck with Milo?"

But I'm wondering. What if we were to take Milo, and place it in an RPG environment? I think then the possibilities for dialogue would go through the roof.

7. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I agree with Brix, motion sensing controllers is a fad that needs to end soon, I mean it was a great idea for the Wii but some of us really like the feel of a real controller with joysticks and buttons for pushing instead of moving the controller around.

I say that if these guys pick up on this for real then they are going to have to make alternative controls for every game, I'm fine with everyone doing motion sensing controllers, but they'll need an alternative for every game that they make in order to keep everyone happy.

Gaming was never made to be interactive it was made to be lazy and fun! :lol:

8. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

No. Games were specifically made to be interactive. That's what makes them games.

Mason likes this.
  9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Not really though. "That's what makes them games?" So every game up until the Wii wasn't really a game? I beg to differ.

When I play a game I want to relax. When I run 5 miles in a video game I don't want to feel like I just ran 5 miles in real life. When I swing a sword in a game for hours I don't want to feel like I just swung a sword in real life for hours.

Tilt control is one thing. Having to swing the controller and dance around on a pad is not fun for me. Maybe other people like it but I'd hate for gaming to be redefined as a physical interactive activity.

I want to sit down in a chair and relax when I play a game. I don't want to need a shower by the time I'm done playing a first person shooter, for example.

Mason likes this.
  10. Malificus

Malificus Likes snow

What the fuck are you talking about?

Games are designed to be interactive. You give input on what happens. Motion controls are just another way to give input. If you weren't supposed to interact with the game, it'd be a movie.