• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Microsoft Reloaded

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-09-20-microsoft-reorganizing_x.htm

Microsoft has announced that they have just reorganized. They mention that they want to shift their focus, and become more agine to stay on top of the ever toughening competition. One change they have planned is to more fully integrate MSN features into both Desktop and Server versions of Windows. This will of course make all MSN users happy, but for people like me, having extra things that I don't or can't use always bugs me. I don't use MSN and having the extra cluttor pushed at me is annoying sometimes.

We will see what that means, but apparently the overall basis for this change was to be able to be more agile, and to compete with Google.

Right now the big fight between Microsoft and Google is their search engines. Google doesn't make business software, yet.. Google doesn't make OS's, yet.. Google doesn't own the world, yet.. but even so, Microsoft is going to have to make a big move to get all of this "Google hype" under control if they want to remain the #1 choice when Google starts crossing the line into Operating Systems and Business Software...

There's only room for one OS giant in the world. My money is on Microsoft in the long run, but it looks like soon enough they might have to start making their employees get unlisted numbers. In the past few years, Google has hired several top Microsoft programmers and developers... What could they be up to? The world will soon find out.

:cool:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think it would be interesting if they did, and a lot of people would probably try it out. The big problem I see is that it would hurt business in the long run. It's much easier to develop software if there are only a few major OS's running around. Right now, businesses primarily use Windows, and design studios and Hollywood uses Mac. A Google OS would obviously be for the PC, and would bring more harm than good I think.

However, I still think that IF they did it, it would probably be successful. The big problem is that they hire out a lot of Microsoft employees.. many of which are getting in trouble for doing similar jobs for Google, as they did for Microsoft. Microsoft will do everything in it's power to protect it's trade secrets, and if somebody quits to go work for another company, they are going to be in for a world of restrictions. I don't even want to think about the contract that MS employees would have to sign when getting hired. Probably all sorts of nondisclosure and penalties.

GunshySlycat1

I think if they did, it'll start small. But I also think if they want success, then get prepared for a bunch of other companies and small companies making their own OS's. Then microsoft might have a problem.... They pretty much dominate the sector. Their biggest competitor is in the permanent 2nd slot, then you got solaris in 3rd... After that you have linux... That's open source. Was there really any talk of a google OS? That would be interesting.......

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Google OS is something that has been rumored. I don't think it is a current project of theirs, but you never know what they are working on sometimes. :)

GunshySlycat1

They should stick to being a good search engine. Their Gmail service is really good. I got it. It's pretty much unlimited mb of storage, so I never have to delete really. But someone on another forum sent me some kinda activation code for it... I don't think you can just sign up.