microsoft releases mp3 player? wtf?!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by unrealphantasy3, Aug 9, 2006.

1. unrealphantasy3

unrealphantasy3 Registered Member

i dont now if its out yet or not, but microsoft is gonna be releasing a portable music player. dont know all the specs, but im sure its not just for music. WTF?!:mad: What, does Gates think he needs ANOTHER billion? microsoft needs to stop spreading into a world conquering company and just stick to computers and games. Plus, how does microsoft think its possibly gonna storm the market and take down Apple iPod?:rolleyes: Especially when next to no people know about it. This thing's gonna be buried next to the N-Gage, I swear. What do you guys think?

Sorry microsoft, you're great and all, but stop trying to take over the world:shake:

2. Mr_Snipes

Mr_Snipes Registered Member

Microsoft will never stop trying until there is no money to be made from it. As long as Microsoft thinks it can make a profit from something, they will try getting into it.

3. Spinlock

Spinlock Registered Member

Oh, come on, guys. Microsoft is not "the evil empire" or "the Borg." So they're making an mp3 player... let 'em go for it. It's a free market, after all, and competition drives prices down... which is good for us, the consumer. Personally, I'd rather have a Creative mp3 player than an Ipod... same functionality, much lower price.

Oh, and I'd like to personally respond to your comment, Mr_Snipes... What a terrible thought, a for-profit company trying to make money? Egad!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  4. unrealphantasy3

i suppose there's two sides to the issue, but i still think microsoft needs to settle down and concentrate on current projects, like the 360, which last I heard was flying off store shelves like the PS2 did and is absolutely tanking in Japan.
    FACT: Gamecubes are currently selling more units than Xbox 360s in Japan. I'm not making this up.
    ------
    sorry, i mean't the 360 ISN'T flying off store shelves like the ps2 did.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  5. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

Why attack Gates for wanting more money to give away?

6. Thermal

Thermal Registered Member

I have to agree with Spinlock. I don't think its that big of a deal if Microsoft decides to get into the MP3 Player ring. It can only benefit us by providing another alternative to the IPod.

As for 360 not selling as well in Japan, its pretty well known that the Japanese are really patriotic. Its hard for any foreign product to sell well in Japan.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I'm in favor of this. Heck, it will most likely make my beloved iPod cheaper for when I decide to buy a new one. :)

I have a 60 GB right now and I'm sure that will get me through a few more years at least, but when they become MUCH smaller I'll consider a new one.

Anyone else think the name "Zune" is a little too much though? Sure, I get the pun, Tune/Zune, etc, but come on. Producs names with Z's forced into them just to sound cool are really getting old.

iPod is a much better name and MS knows it. :D

8. unrealphantasy3

Is that what it's called? Zune? Hmmnn. Actually, i suppose this isn't all bad, because like you said, Andrew, it will probably make the iPod, my favorite brand, cheaper. I on a 30GB video iPod and a cheaper, even better iPod would be awesome! :D

9. BakaBoy

BakaBoy New Member

Well, what else is he going to use the money on? Why not invest and start up pet projects here and there in what he has interest in. Some people take up art and painting, he expands his company.

10. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Bill Gates is somebody that I look up to a lot. I don't agree with all of his decisions (i.e. giving Windows OS source code to the Chinese but not even the US government....) but from a business point of view, he is obviously doing a lot of things right.

As far as I'm concerned the "Zune" has a pretty good chance of succeeding just because it has Microsoft's name on it. As I said before, I doubt I will buy one, but I also don't think there will be any reason NOT to buy one either. It's most likely going to be a top notch product.

Of course let's all keep our fingers crossed regarding bugs and compatibility issues... I don't think the world is ready for blue screens of death on their mp3 players... :D