• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Xbox 360 Microsoft gives a damn ’bout your bad reputation on Xbox One

Iris

rainbow 11!
Microsoft gives a damn ’bout your bad reputation on Xbox One | Ars Technica

In recent weeks, Microsoft has briefly discussed a coming overhaul of the Xbox Live reputation system on the Xbox One. The aim, the company says, is to segregate the worst griefers and antisocial players from those who know how not to be jerks.

It’s a great concept, but the devil is always in the details when you’re trying to create a largely automated system to pick out bad apples ruining an online community. With that in mind, we talked to Micheal Dunn, senior program manager of Microsoft SmartMatch, to get the details on just how the Xbox One will determine who is worthy of a bad reputation.

The Xbox 360 already has a reputation system, but Dunn noted that it was created back in the pre-Facebook world of 2005, when Microsoft had less experience handling the complex relationships in an online community of millions. “It was a system where you had a reputation and stars from users and things like that, but it wasn’t necessarily targeted toward having a really hard barrier between people who have a low reputation and people who have a high reputation. It was more of a soft barrier.”
I think this is awesome, it's such a great idea. I could see it being abused though. Like if a big group of people gave one person bad reputation to fuck with him or her. What do you guys think?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I don't like it. Especially if it relies on other people giving you ratings. Most people that I play with haven't even rated me on there. People are lazy. There are only a few on my friends list that have bothered, and then I have some low scores just because of people getting butthurt when I would kick their asses in a multiplayer game. Some guys don't take too kindly to a girl whipping their butt.

Iris

rainbow 11!
I think if they went through with this, people would give their friends good reputation.

You make a good point about people getting butt hurt if they lose.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I think this is awesome, it's such a great idea. I could see it being abused though. Like if a big group of people gave one person bad reputation to fuck with him or her. What do you guys think?
I think a large flaw with the system is the people who report for being "unsporting" in FPS games because they're getting dominated. That can really hurt rep.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I think if they went through with this, people would give their friends good reputation.

You make a good point about people getting butt hurt if they lose.
That's why I have any bad reputation at all. I only talked trash if it was talked to me first, and I can only remember a couple of times of doing that. I shouldn't have as low of a score as I do if people were using it honestly.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I have no idea how to even check my score. I think the only time I've ever rated anyone was when they were hacking/glitching. Or in call of duty when they were cheating with their friends etc.

It'll be interesting to see how they go about making this system fair in that regard.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I think it's a good idea as long as it's implemented the right way. I assume you'd have to receive a LOT of negative rep before any actions would be taken. Like a certain amount of bad rep over a certain period of time. That way a random negative feedback won't hurt you at all.