• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Microsoft FrontPage 2000 is all I need

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I just formatted my hard drive and had to reinstall everything and as I was going through programs that I normaly use I debated whether or not to install them again. One of those was FrontPage 2000. A 7 year old version of Microsoft's mediocre HTML design software. I couldn't find the CD at first so I had to go an entire day without it. Was it hard? Yes! Here's why...

The programs loads in about 2 seconds. Any text copied from it is automatically copied as HTML, which is super convenient for quick text editing, spell checking, etc when setting up small pages.

Design-wise it's not really the best but I use notepad anyway for designing. I own a full licensed version of Dreamweaver CS3 and to be honest I haven't used it since buying it (It came with my CS3 Design Suite). I have never liked Dreamweaver. It makes crazy CSS and is hard to clean up after. It makes a big mess out of my pages. At least with FrontPage nothing is automated. Everything stays how it should after I put it in and I can truly use it as a testing editor for all the pages I make in NotePad.

Anyway, I found the CD just a few minutes ago and installed it. It already feels good to have it back. :) I haven't even used the new versions since 2000 but I doubt I would like them. I like programs that open quickly and don't have tons of options that I don't want. I hardcode most of my code so why would I want a button to create it? It just goofs things up.

raddmadd

Registered Member
The only reason I like WYSIWYG editors (I think FrontPage is one?) is how you can see your work rendered instantly. This ability, though, can be achieved with the Firefox web developer extension. A lot of these editors, and html specific text editors (not WYSIWYG purposes) have annoying features for me. The best editor I've found without annoying features, is Crimson Editor. I just look for simple syntax highlighting. When designing, I usually have some sort of text editor open, along with Firefox. (I'd use Crimson Editor, but it isn't for Linux, so I resort to Gedit)

Last edited:

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought you were asking for someone to hook you up.

/me closes torrents.
Nope, paid $90 or so for it in 2000 and it's still works so I am good. Also this thread is over a year old. It's still true though. I use it mostly for quick text formatting for the web. It's useless for actually making a site with. I use a basic coding text editor still for that. ;)

raddmadd

Registered Member
Nope, paid $90 or so for it in 2000 and it's still works so I am good. Also this thread is over a year old. It's still true though. I use it mostly for quick text formatting for the web. It's useless for actually making a site with. I use a basic coding text editor still for that. ;)
oh wow, when I saw "5-31" I just assumed it was from 2008, lol.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
oh wow, when I saw "5-31" I just assumed it was from 2008, lol.
No worries. I was kind of bummed that nobody cared to reply to this a year ago lol. I guess a year late is better than never. :)