Mickey Mantle

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Babe_Ruth, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright guys, this section has been active lately, and I've got new members that knowa a lot about the sport. So I'll be starting new threads about some of the greatest players that have played the game, and we will discuss about him, what was so great about him, and what has impressed you the most about him. I want this to be done properly, I don't want crappy short messages, if you don't know nothing about the certain player, then you can reply asking questions about him, but I don't want replies saying this guy is overrated and stuff, if you do think he's overrated then state why. I will delete any messages that I feel isn't appropriate for these threads. The second player that I have chosen is Mickey Mantle.

Discuss.

2. natnsoxfan

natnsoxfan Guest

The only facet of the game, as far as I know, that he didn't truly excel in was arm strength, and even then he was no worse than average.

If not for having so many knee injuries he could have been the all time home run king at some point during his career. Very fast too, he won our poll for speed at BBF in the skills competition for speed, as his evident by his 153 SB's to 38 CS and his great range in the field. I think one thing that is often forgot about him is that the same season that Maris was chasing Ruth's record he was too, they were neck and neck for a while but Mantle finished that season with 54 bombs. Broke into the majors at the tender age of 19 by hitting 13 homers with a .267 BA, not bad for a kid fresh out of high school. He won 3 MVP's ('56, '57, '62) 1 GG ('62), went to 13 AS games ('52-'62, '64, '65), 1 batting title ('56), and 4 homerun titles ('55, '56, '58, '60). Also led the league in OBP, SLG%, OPS, R's, TB's, 3B's, RBI's, BB's, XBH's, IBB's, AB/HR, adjusted OPS+, runs created, and times on base at least one each. He was kind of in the same boat with Ruth with the drinking and womanizing accusations.

He had a great career, but hes another one of those "what might have been" stories because of the chronic knee injuries and the perceived alcoholism, one of the greats of the game nonetheless.

3. The_Kid

The_Kid Sexy Beast

Mickey's story is a sad one, definitly. The man injuries his legs as a child, not even playing baseball. That's sad. I think Mickey had the potential to be the greatest.

4. Death Nails

Death Nails Guest

Mickey is a Top 10 player. He did have problems with injuries and played hurt most of the time. Still he was one of the best players in the 50's and 60's.

5. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Mantle makes me angry. He's one guy who had the potential to become one of the greatest baseball players ever. He had the ability to rule an era filled with folk and lore, and instead he chose alcohol, girls and other distractions.

It's no lie, he played his heart out, and he pushed his body past the point, but if he wouldn't have had such a horrible off-field lifestyle then he would've lasted much longer on the field. I'm sorry, I respect how well he played, and how hard he played, but I don't respect how he treated his body.

I know, in those days, it was considered important to take care of your body, and being a sports star really was only while you were on the field, but now we know the difference. I just wish he would've taken care of his body, I would've loved to see what he did.

6. Since I'm a stat man, I guess I'll provide some career numbers from Mantle:

RC---RC/G----BtRns----BtWin---AIR--OWP---ISO---BB/K--BFW

2038--9.3-----858.9-----86.3----95---.808---.259----1.01--71.8

7. Tigers246484

Tigers246484 Guest

Mickey Mantle is one of the top 5 players from his ERA and mainly remembered as the handsome guy and everyone's favorite Yankee (At least those who liked the Yankees). George from Seinfeld was even going to name his kid "Seven", in order to honor his greatness. He was one hell of a hitter and a tough out and one of the premier early power hitters. Having said all of that, his social life hampered him like injuries have hampered Ken Griffey Jr. They both had the talent to be the best ever, but because of external forces and not talent, they missed out. Any Yankee fan over the hill I am sure has their favorite "Mick" story, and he will go down as one of the greatest players to play baseball.

8. tipsycatlover

tipsycatlover Registered Member

He is one of the greatest players to play baseball. He kept the Yankees so dominant, so unbeatable that George Abbot wrote a musical about them "Damn Yankees" in 1958. It was a shame that Mickey Mantle ruined himself with booze. Although one of my favorite quotes comes from him.

He was approached by a woman while in a bar who told him he was a role model for children and shouldn't drink. He said "Ma'am, I'm no role model, I'm a baseball player." And so he was.

9. SuiGeneris

SuiGeneris blue 3

Thats a wonderful quote tipsy, and that's actually a pretty good play as well.

He was undoubtadly a baseball player, through and through. I just wish he took care of his body. *grumbles*

10. soberdennis

soberdennis Guest

I have a special memory of Mickey Mantle.
    It was my 10th birthday. We had just moved to the New York area from Virginia. My Dad decided that my Present would be a trip to Yankee Stadium for the first time. Even though it was also Mother's Day, my Mom didn't even seem to mind.
    On Friday of the Series against the defending Champion Orioles, Mantle hit his 499th homer.
    On Saturday, we were sitting at home actually rooting for Mantle not to homer. He didn't.
    Then came the big day, Sunday May 14, 1967. A 10 year old Yankee fan celebrates his birthday at Yankee Stadium.
    In the 7th inning with Stu Miller on the mound, it happened. Mantle blasted the ball into the right field seats to win the game, 4-3.
    I doubt that many fans can say they saw an alltime great reach a milestone in the first MLB game they ever went to. I can say I saw Mantle's 500th. And it was my birthday to top it all off.