• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Mickey Mantle

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Mantle is one of the best power hitters of all time, he's definitely the best switch hitter of all time. After Babe Ruth no one hit longer home runs than The Mick.

He had the potential to become the all time home run leader, but he had serious leg injuries that hurt him through out his career. During the time he played and was healthy he was one of the fastest runners in the Majors, he could have stolen at 100 bases in one season if he remained healthy. He was just a superb athlete.

All the drinking didn't help much either.

Lets discuss, the career of Mantle.

Sultan_1895-1948

Registered Member
Born in '77 I never had the chance to see Mickey play but I take the comments from those who did see him, to heart, and I've seen footage.

When you talk about pure athletes across any era; power and explosiveness in every facet, I would put Mick up there with Bo Jackson, Rickey Henderson, Wagner, Foxx, Ruth, Mays. Just athletic freaks.

It might be more prudent to actually do time frames. I remember Strawberry and Eric Davis. Their body types were a sign of the times. This was before becoming bulked up (artificially or not) was en vogue, but damn. Lean, strong, fast.

Mick's career gets put into the pile of all the other what-ifs. Regardless of whether he lived up to career value potential, his peak and raw talent is among the elites.

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
He was a perfect storm for baseballl...amazingly talented athlete, corn-fed hick image made for selling "humble" (regardless if he was or not), alliterative name, played center field (quite well) for the Yankees in New York, at a time when it was the sports capital of the nation. Hit the ball a mile, or struck out with a the biggest whiff, but he did things BIG, and often. Ran the bases, or the outfield, with enthusiasiasm. Was continually in the World Series, the big stage, making splashes, when television was getting popular..you can even say he was the first made-for-TV baseball star. And, to be fair to the times, Mantle was white. There likely was a large percentage of the population who felt nervous that black men were playing baseball brilliantly at the major league level, and having a superb white star player felt like an anchor to what they'd known before in the face of interesting, changing times. That wasn't my era and I won't speculate further.

Mantle's star climbed so high due to, as with many things, a combination of great talent AND immaculate timing. Mantle was the right man in the right place at the right time; if Ruth had had television, he'd have melted hearts (all the more) around the world, because he was such a big lug. Mantle hit the trifecta.