• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Michigan Tea Partiers Share Rick Santorum’s Fears Over Obama’s College Push

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
lol @ talkingpointsmemo

Because, as we all know, academia is overrun with constitutional conservatives. :lol:

Will comments made by 0bama and attendees at his appearances be newsworthy? At least Santorum didn't kick off his "Caucasians for Santorum" campaign and ask for assistance from the church to pressure whites to vote for him.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
What a sad commentary on the state of politics in the U.S.

Here's a gem of a quote from that article, from a member of the crowd at an "Americans for Prosperity" rally:
“It starts down at the elementary school level with all this bullshit about diversity, pardon my French,” he said. “Diversity and sensitivity and all that crap"
sensitivity is "crap". lovely. god forbid anyone should teach you or your kids to be kind to other people and sensitive to differences between Americans.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
It's obvious not everyone will go to college and it's obvious not everyone can go to college. College is not a guarantee of success and people can be successful without it. I have no problem with Obama encouraging college, in fact I applaud it. What I really want though is for everyone to have a chance to be successful, from the cardiologist to the electrician to the small business owner.

I will say the comments Jeanie pointed out bothered me.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The more I hear Santorum, the more I really like the guy.
I'm glad I listen to Smilin' and voted for him over Romney. See Smilin is always right, lol.
The report is from TPM which bills itself as politically left. Nothing wrong with that, its just that out of 300 people they are only looking for the 2 that come across sounding like rednecks.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I agree MIT, they obviously picked the comments that sounded the worst then painted the comments as speaking for the whole crowd. Nevertheless those comments, while unfair to be indicative of the whole crowd, are disturbing.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I am sooooo voting for Santorum tomorrow. I invite all democrats to join me and cast their vote for Santorum in our open primary.

Come on Jeanie, say you will! <3 !

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with Jeanie, I also found that quote a little disturbing.

The reason Obama is pushing college is because Americans are slipping behind the rest of the developed world in people with degrees. Even the Russians are out doing us, but since college is such a liberal institution maybe we should outlaw it and tell everyone to go dig a ditch for a living and when you have no medical insurance just suffer and die.

US falls behind in college degrees

This statement made by Paul Murrow I find is typical of most conservatives. If you don't have a degree they don't consider you their equal, just the work horse.

“Everybody can’t be equal,” agreed Paul Murrow of Milford, MI seated nearby. “Somebody needs to do the manual labor.”

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.

The reason Obama is pushing college is because Americans are slipping behind the rest of the developed world in people with degrees. Even the Russians are out doing us, but since college is such a liberal institution maybe we should outlaw it and tell everyone to go dig a ditch for a living and when you have no medical insurance just suffer and die.

This statement made by Paul Murrow I find is typical of most conservatives. If you don't have a degree they don't consider you their equal, just the work horse.
To be fair that's a mischaracterization of the comment. First off to do manual labor doesn't make one any less. There is honor is being a plumber, electrician, mechanic, etc. Secondly doing manual labor can be quite lucrative. A guy down the street from me is a plumber, and he turned a one-man operation into a 10-truck, 40 employee business. He got the majority of contracts for new houses during the construction boom because he's honest, efficient, and works his ass off. Thirdly, it's true, we need people that do this kind of work. What we have to do is create an economic environment that rewards hard work, that rewards entreprenuership rather than punishing this things.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag

This is a problem and we do need more engineers, scientist, doctors, etc.. I believe the entire education system needs to be revamped from the bottom up. There's no reason why everyone shouldn't be able to pursue education beyond high school at little or no cost. I just don't agree that the way to do it is to pump more money into the system because as the Obama administration has pointed out, that leads to higher education cost which is just counter-productive.
That's not typical of most conservatives.