• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Michigan Senate Bill 153 - Emergency Financial Managers

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
2011 Senate Bill 153 (Increase power of school and local emergency financial managers ) - Michigan Votes

Introduced by Sen. Phil Pavlov (R) on February 16, 2011, to add to the conditions that can trigger a state review of a local government or school district’s finances, and the appointment of an “emergency financial manager” (EFM) to ones that are approaching in insolvency. The EFM would have many more powers than under current law, including the power to cancel existing government or school union collective bargaining agreements and other contracts. School EFMs would also have authority over academic matters. The EFM could also order new borrowing, or put a property tax millage increase on the ballot.
Rachel Maddow on SB153
YouTube - Michigan is screwed.

I can't think of any circumstances under which it would be acceptable for an appointed official to cancel an existing elected local government.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Rachael Maddow?! Now that's entertainment!

The district of Amway and Dow lols FTW!

I can think of some circumstances: extreme fiscal & financial mismanagement. See Detroit Public Schools.

Yes Ms. Maddow, Michigan is screwed. Thanks Ms. Granholm! Our economy has been "blown away", way to keep a campaign promise. Even Ms. Granholm is leaving the state, just like all the others who have left the state in search of opportunity.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I wonder if you could reply to this without commenting on who has presented the information or who preceded Gov. Snyder in office. Reply as if it were a Democrat who introduced the bill - how would you feel then?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I wonder if you could reply to this without commenting on who has presented the information or who preceded Gov. Snyder in office. Reply as if it were a Democrat who introduced the bill - how would you feel then?
To do so would be to ignore the causes of our current situation which requires tough decisions. The Detroit Public School system is a prime example of why these measures are required. When union supported democrats sit across the table to negotiate union contracts then the taxpayers are not represented in the negotiatons.

This results in the extreme corruption of the system which was evidenced in the democrat/union theft from daycare workers as a payback to unions for supporting democrats and funneling union money back to democrat campaign funds. We approve your unsustainable contracts and you work to get our guys (your buddies) elected, all funded by the taxpayer!

Funny how we can still blame Bush for everything, but let's not talk about Granholm. The technique Ms. Maddow complains about is straight out of Obama's playbook. Yet we already know the dire financial situation that we are experiencing in Michigan and we must now make some very tough choices or accept the inevitable bankruptcy of our state.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
So it's ok with you for Governor Snyder to appoint someone whom he has selected as an Emergency Financial Manager for say the Village of Pinckney, who then cancels the existing government, which has been elected by you and your neighbors, and runs the village as he or she sees fit? Mind you, the power to determine whether any local unit of government is in crisis. You don't see this as problematic in any way?

Wade8813

Registered Member
I can't think of any circumstances under which it would be acceptable for an appointed official to cancel an existing elected local government.
Is this supposed to say "existing elected local government agreement"? I don't mean to nitpick - I honestly reread that half a dozen times to figure out what was being said. It could just be because I'm drowsy.

I'm not an expert on contract law, but it seems the only way to get out of already established agreements would be if you could demonstrate that the agreements had some illegal or unethical part to them.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
If the Hamburg township or Pinckney School board has negotiated contracts And made commitments that will bankrupt either, causing the taxpayers to bail the situation out, then yes. Someone in state government needs to act to protect my interests from irresponsible local governance. And trust me, Hamburg township has experienced some incredibly irresponsible behavior by elected officials.

Senator Phil Pavlov :: 25th District

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Sorry, Wade, I did word that poorly. What this bill does is give the governor's appointed Emergency Financial Manager the power to dissolve local governments, under the pretext that the local government had mismanaged funds. However, the determination of what constitutes mismanagement is up to the governor's discretion. That seems to me like far too much power to put in the hands of the governor and his appointees.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Sorry, Wade, I did word that poorly. What this bill does is give the governor's appointed Emergency Financial Manager the power to dissolve local governments, under the pretext that the local government had mismanaged funds. However, the determination of what constitutes mismanagement is up to the governor's discretion. That seems to me like far too much power to put in the hands of the governor and his appointees.
Well done Jeanie! Especially your use of the loaded words pretext and discretion:) <- smilie from my daughter! But I mean that sincerely.

So can you please direct me to the part that backs up you claim that this is at the governor's discretion?

Here is a link to make it easy:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2011-2012/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2011-SIB-0153.htm

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Oh, sorry, I misspoke. Not the governor, but the state treasurer, who is an appointee of the governor.

The existence of other facts or circumstances that in the

state treasurer's sole discretion for a municipal government are

indicative of municipal financial stress, or, that in the

superintendent of public instruction's sole discretion for a school

district are indicative of school district financial stress.