• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Michele Bachmann Confuses John Wayne with John Wayne Gacy

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Michele Bachmann Confuses John Wayne With John Wayne Gacy | Radar Online

Presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann, who is becoming as famous for her on-air gaffes as she is her Christian right-wing views, made another major faux pas Monday.

The Minnesotan made a triumphant return to her hometown of Waterloo, Iowa to officially announce her run for presidency, but when a microphone was placed in front of her things all went a little awry.

Explaining that just like John Wayne, the all-American hero and cowboy, she too was from Waterloo, Iowa - hence she chose the location to announce her candidacy.

However, it’s another John Wayne – John Wayne Gacy, the serial killer, that actually lived in Waterloo – the veteran actor was from Winterset, around 150 miles away.

Gacy was incarcerated in Waterloo for attempted sexual assault prior to killing dozens of young men and boys during six-year murder spree.

"Well what I want them all to know is that just like John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa... that's the kind of spirit that I have, too,"
This as been the talk since yesterday, do you consider this a huge error or not a big deal at all? This not the first she makes gaffe of this nature, and it might be hurting her chances for people to actually take her serious.

Thoughts?

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Gacy was not from Waterloo, he was from Chicago. So what if John Wayne was from 150 miles away. Is that how desperate they are to throw mud on Bachmann?
------
Judging from the comments on the article linked in the OP it would seem that Radar Online is playing to their audience of ignorant democrats. How many partisan hacks are regurgitating this story when it is an obvious misrepresentation of who Bachmann was referring to. Is there any sane person that believes she was not referring to "the Duke"? But look at the democrat echo chamber that made this a story in order to impugn Bachmann. Anyone repeating this story reveals their bias.
------
So let's see who is REALLY stupid:
Stephen Dinan and the Washington Times are really stupid. They seem to be the hacks that have floated this story because they want to demonize Bachmann. But at least they are not so stupid as to mis-state the fact that Gacy was from Chicago. They just go ahead and misrepresent it in order to take a shot at Bachmann. The wrong John Wayne - Washington Times

Think Progress is really stupid. Bachmann cites wrong John Wayne, praises notorious serial killer | ThinkProgress
But unfortunately for historically challenged Bachmann, as the Washington Times points out, the John Wayne born in Waterloo is John Wayne Gacy, the notorious serial killer who murdered 33 teenage boys and young men, not the iconic Western actor.
WRONG historically challenged Think Progress. Can you guys even read? The referenced article DID NOT indicate Gacy was born in Iowa.

Last edited:

Raos

Registered Member
I can't stand her politics, but this mistake she made should never have even been reported on. It is nitpicking St it's finest. Who among us has not made a mistake like this? It was an honest mistake that has nothing to do with her politics or intelligence or ability to lead or anything else.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I can't stand her politics, but this mistake she made should never have even been reported on. It is nitpicking St it's finest. Who among us has not made a mistake like this? It was an honest mistake that has nothing to do with her politics or intelligence or ability to lead or anything else.
I could not agree with this post more. Obama mistakingly said we have 57 states instead of 50. He mispronounced corpsmen. It happens. This isn't news and it is no evidence of any ability or nonability to lead. Those in the media or anywhere else that think so are idiots themselves.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I have to agree with CO and Raos on this. I think that it's understandable when candidates statements are questioned in their context/content, but legitimate slips of the tongue are going to happen all of the time. They're good jokes for late night talk show hosts, but they're not really relevant because they're so commonplace.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Really, I'm kind of irked that this was even reported, because it is definitely nitpicking, and now when she says something that truly is unacceptable, people will come back with "oh that's just more nitpicking".

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
This wasn't even a slip of the tongue, she made a mistake about where John Wayne "The Duke" was born by 150 miles. I'm sure she never meant John Gacy.

But just search "Bachmann" space "J" and see if your search engine suggests something like "Michelle Bachmann John Wayne Gacy". Then complete the search and see how many media outlets have run with this smear and who they are.

Anybody can search "John Wayne Gacy" and find out that Gacy was from Chicago. Hey didn't Obama spend time in Chicago? Obama has more in common with Gacy than Bachmann does.

The point being that anyone running with this "story" does so because they seek to demonize and destroy a conservative female candidate with whom they disagree.

Just like they have done with Palin. It is part of the left's standard operating procedures.

Last edited:

Raos

Registered Member
Stop trying to blame the left SS. I am part of the left and as you can tell from my post it is not part of my SOP. You trying to blame this on the left is as wrong as the media trying to make this into news in the first place.

The news media is not doing this to try to demonize and destroy anyone or anything. They are trying to get people to watch their channel so they can sell advertising plain and simple. They know that this is not a legitimate news story, but they also know people will tune in to see it so that is what they give the people.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I'll be glad to give Bachmann a pass this time, if someone can explain to me how the hell someone could make that particular error. "John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa," she mistakenly tells a reporter (like there's a Waterloo ethos that would reflect on her if he had been). Unfortunately, The Duke never lived there, but real-life killer clown John Wayne Gacy did. Will she get Austria and Australia mixed up next? North Korea and North Vietnam? Such a factual error during an interview is rare, unlike an everyday slip of the tongue, and it does speak to a loose command of details.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I'll be glad to give Bachmann a pass this time, if someone can explain to me how the hell someone could make that particular error. "John Wayne was from Waterloo, Iowa," she mistakenly tells a reporter (like there's a Waterloo ethos that would reflect on her if he had been). Unfortunately, The Duke never lived there, but real-life killer clown John Wayne Gacy did. Will she get Austria and Australia mixed up next? North Korea and North Vietnam? Such a factual error during an interview is rare, unlike an everyday slip of the tongue, and it does speak to a loose command of details.
Really? We have a president who has such a loose command of details he thinks we have 57 states.

C'mom, that's ridiculous. It was a slip of the tongue. To not recognize that is silly.

I agree with Jeanie, when something of substance comes up and she legitamately gets criticized, that will just add to the "you're nitpicking" argument.
------
Stop trying to blame the left SS. I am part of the left and as you can tell from my post it is not part of my SOP. You trying to blame this on the left is as wrong as the media trying to make this into news in the first place.

The news media is not doing this to try to demonize and destroy anyone or anything. They are trying to get people to watch their channel so they can sell advertising plain and simple. They know that this is not a legitimate news story, but they also know people will tune in to see it so that is what they give the people.
I disagree. This is the media's attempt to destroy anyone who is not named Barack Hussein Obama or doesn't subscribe to his political philosophy. Especially if that person is a conservative female.

If this were true they would have used his 57 states comment, for example, to sell advertising. Unfortunately the mainstream news barely reported on it.

Last edited: