• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Michael Cera

Italiano

Film Elitist
I loved him in Arrested Development. Like loveloved<3. He's like the only person who hasn't signed on for the movie, but i sure hope he does!
Other than that, I thought he was adorable in Juno. I know he's the same type in every movie, but there was something about him in Juno. I don't think anyone could have done it better. Looks, and just his mannerisms too.
The only way Cera will ever be effective in film and acting is if he's typecast. I cannot see him in any role other than the shy, socially awkward, outcast teenager.

Sooner or later he's going to lose his edge and I think YEAR ONE is just the beginning. That movie looks to be a few hookers short of an STD.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I can't stand Michael Cera. I liked the movie Superbad, but I didn't think that his performance was the best in the movie. If anything, I think both of the other guys in that movie were way better. (McLovin' and the fat kid)

Cera, like everyone else said, can only do one role, and as well as he might be at playing the awkward teenager, there are only so many movies where that's actually a character that I want to see in a movie. Personally, I'd like to see him in a more realistic role where he gets his ass handed to him daily for how bland and boring he is to be around and to watch. His humor is dry, and he's pretty stoic, just standing around with his lame one liners. I think Year One is going to do one of two things. It'll either solidify him into that one character, or it'll ruin his career. Either way, I highly doubt that anything short of being paid to see the movie will actually put my ass in the seat.

AwkwardlyYours

Registered Member
I don't know... I used to think it was impossible for Jim Carey to get through a movie without doing strange faces/voices etc. But I really liked 23 and I thought he did very well in a different type of role...

But he's usually good in the role he's normally type-casted into.

Considering today's youth tends to be on the side of the Awkward heroes, it's semi-likely that he'll do well. I guess we won't know until we see what becomes of him. But I really like him in a lot of things.

Hell, I never thought Shia LeBouf would do anything like Eagle Eye. I thought he'd be that doofy Even Stevens kid forever or he'd drop off the face of the planet.

But there he was kicking ass in Eagle Eye.

It's hard to tell sometimes...

Italiano

Film Elitist
I don't know... I used to think it was impossible for Jim Carey to get through a movie without doing strange faces/voices etc. But I really liked 23 and I thought he did very well in a different type of role...

But he's usually good in the role he's normally type-casted into.

Considering today's youth tends to be on the side of the Awkward heroes, it's semi-likely that he'll do well. I guess we won't know until we see what becomes of him. But I really like him in a lot of things.

Hell, I never thought Shia LeBouf would do anything like Eagle Eye. I thought he'd be that doofy Even Stevens kid forever or he'd drop off the face of the planet.

But there he was kicking ass in Eagle Eye.

It's hard to tell sometimes...
It's not possible for Shia to kick ass in EAGLE EYE because that movie is the direct opposite of kicking ass. Also I just think Shia is a bad actor.

Today's make up of young heroes and protagonist are the awkward teenage outcasts to an extent but like any concept it can become misconstrued and badly interpreted to a point where it defies what the original interpretation really was. It becomes Hollywood's standard of the young, awkward, teenage outcast.

Michael Cera is proof that it's already mutating.

AwkwardlyYours

Registered Member
Well, then call me a moron if you will, but I loved Eagle Eye. I thought it was very well done. I liked the story, I liked the actors. I liked it.

And I like Michael Cera. This is because I'm less about the ART of movies. I mean, I can appreciate some movies for artistic value, but others are for pure entertainment. I'm entertained by Michael Cera. *Shrugs* I'm also entertained by dogs doing things like burping. So I guess I'm not a great judge.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Well, then call me a moron if you will, but I loved Eagle Eye. I thought it was very well done. I liked the story, I liked the actors. I liked it.

And I like Michael Cera. This is because I'm less about the ART of movies. I mean, I can appreciate some movies for artistic value, but others are for pure entertainment. I'm entertained by Michael Cera. *Shrugs* I'm also entertained by dogs doing things like burping. So I guess I'm not a great judge.
Just read his user title :D

He's a cinematography guy, so he tends to see way beyond what most people see in a movie. It's both a good and bad thing.

Italiano

Film Elitist

I mean I'm not going to call you a moron. I'm just going to... disagree... respectively... really really disagree.

I understand 110% but I don't even think EAGLE EYE was good by pure entertainment standards either. I was curious at first and it had a somewhat decent pick up and then...

you find out that the mastermind behind it all is a supercomputer designed to monitor internet information over the entire web and is crafting a plot that will devastate U.S. national security?

Michael Bay movies have better plot standards than this. After that I was just scratching my head with my jaw dropped half open and was wondering how they could drop all the fun out of a movie in such little time.

AwkwardlyYours

Registered Member
Which is why I explained, I'm not a good judge of this. I love movies, but my forte is literature. So I understand the "elitist" feeling in things.

But since he brought up I gave my personal opinion. So... *Shrugs* I like Michael Cera.

/my input