• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Miami U has a NEW COACH!

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
And it isn't who you think.

Al Golden accepts offer to coach at Miami - ESPN

AL GOLDEN. The recent Temple University football coach, has decided to go to The U to coach their football team. A "dogged recruiter" and a "disciplinarian" is coming to a team known for a lack of discipline.

What do you think?

BigBob

Registered Member
I posted this a few hours ago in the post about the CFL's football coach thinking about the job, so it isn't a huge surprise for me. I feel bad for Temple though, this guy completely turned that school around and then he leaves. They have a good, young running back out there and then his coach just up and leaves. Always hate it.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I told my one friend that goes to Temple that he sold out. He did. Temple will only grow, though. Miami is in for a bit of a slump now. They have a lack of discipline, but Golden will only enforce it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I don't blame him for leaving Temple. They were 8-4 this year and didn't even get invited to a bowl game. Even 6-6 teams from the Sun Belt got bowl invites. There just isn't much opportunity at Temple. I don't see this being even close to the betrayal of Brian Kelly leaving Cincinnati last year. The Bearcats are at least in a major conference and he had them playing in a BCS bowl, and he left before the bowl game.

BigBob

Registered Member
I don't blame him for leaving Temple. They were 8-4 this year and didn't even get invited to a bowl game. Even 6-6 teams from the Sun Belt got bowl invites. There just isn't much opportunity at Temple. I don't see this being even close to the betrayal of Brian Kelly leaving Cincinnati last year. The Bearcats are at least in a major conference and he had them playing in a BCS bowl, and he left before the bowl game.
I agree with that because I believe had Kelly stayed there, they may have undefeated or a 1-2 loss team. Kelly made Cincy and he had some great quarterbacks. After your coach leaves you for another school though, you start to think.. hmm.. maybe I wasn't good enough.. even when you are.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I agree with that because I believe had Kelly stayed there, they may have undefeated or a 1-2 loss team. Kelly made Cincy and he had some great quarterbacks. After your coach leaves you for another school though, you start to think.. hmm.. maybe I wasn't good enough.. even when you are.
He wouldn't have had that few losses, I think. Cincy had a weak D and a stuttering O that killed whatever momentum they could have ever gained.

BigBob

Registered Member
They were averaging almost 39 points a games in 09 with Kelly and that was down to 27 this past year, and the only reason it wasn't closer to 20 is because they had three wins which they scored 40, 45 and 69 points, all against bum teams.

Kelly coaching Collaros at quarterback, he ran a little over 50 times for 300+ yard. This year, he ran over 120 times and rushed for just over 200 yards.

It didn't matter for defense when Kelly was there, because they point up the points on offense to make up for that. Had they averaged the same amount of points this year as they did in 09, they'd have gone 12-0 again.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
But Kelly wasn't there, and they didn't.

Back to the topic at hand, do you think that Golden should go out and wildly recruit south Florida? I think so. There is a lot of talent available there that has said that they are open to other schools since Shannon was fired... thoughts?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Absolutely he should recruit south Florida. There is enough talent in that part of the state to win the national title every year.

BigBob

Registered Member
But Kelly wasn't there, and they didn't./
That's not the point. You say if he was there, they would have more losses then I stated and that wouldn't be the case.

Back to the topic at hand, do you think that Golden should go out and wildly recruit south Florida? I think so. There is a lot of talent available there that has said that they are open to other schools since Shannon was fired... thoughts?
He needs to recruit from Florida, Texas and Pennsylvania. Period. Florida has the best "athletes", but you can't leave out the other big 2.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Babe_Ruth NBA 5
StroShow NBA 11
K College Sports 1
Hilander Music 15
K NBA 3