Mets sign Sheffield

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Not all that shocked the Mets needed a bat in their lineup. How good will he be remains to be seen.

According to SI.com's Jon Heyman, the Mets and Gary Sheffield have agreed to a deal.

Marlon Anderson apparently will be released after all. Sheffield figures to be used in right field against left-handers, with Fernando Tatis starting in left field against some lefties.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is a good pick up for the Mets in my opinion. Gary isn't the same player he once was, I think he knows that and everyone knows it. But he'll definitely add a good bat to the line up when needed. I think he still as some left in the tank, and if he gets enough at bats and he's healthy he should put up some good numbers this season.

Unstoppable

Registered Member
The Mets are the class of the NL IMO, great hitters, great pitching, a great bullpen, if they can play defense there is no reason why they can't go to the world series

Vegito728

Registered Member
I think this was a good pickup. No, Sheffield isn't the player he once was but he can still play the game. His career numbers speak for themselves.

He's gonna give you 15-20 homers and about 60-70 RBI's and anytime you can get a player like that, it's a great addition. Now he just needs to stay healthy.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I don't know; for the last two seasons his BA has been pretty dismal. Maybe he'll be a plus in the clubhouse, but I don't see him producing hits any better than your average first-year cheapie. I look back in fondness to his four .300+ years with the Dodgers, who are the class of the NL IMO.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didnt want to start a new thread for this, so I decided to post it here instead. Congratulations to Sheffield for hitting number 500 last night, in a pinch hit situation. He's the fourth oldest player to hit 500 home runs.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Definitely congrats to Sheff on his 500th homer. I dont know if hes a sure fire Hall of Famer yet but its still a great feat.