Messed up things other forums do

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BigBob, Jan 20, 2009.

1. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

Well I was just browsing around other forums and noticed that some of them do fucked up shit to get money. Anything you guys ever noticed?

This one forum wouldn't let you have Avatars unless you paid.. and once you hit 1,000 posts they expected you to still pay for an avy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2009

2. Atreyu

Atreyu #2 New Zealander

Well there is this forum, which makes you pay for a glorified Premium membership, Called V.I.P. LOL

Somebody had to say it.

P.S. this is a joke post, should someone take it seriously

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    Mirage likes this.
  3. Mason

Mason phawq

I joined a forum like that. After finding that out, i left. I never even made a single post.

I also would say some of the VIP features on this forum aren't worth the money. Animated avatars should at least be a premium feature, IMO.

4. Matriqulated

Matriqulated Future is Fused 3036A.D.

I paid for my avatar here... and I like it. Most sites do not allow files this big at all so I'm fine with it.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Well if it's any reconciliation, the VIP extras wouldn't exist for ANYBODY if people didn't pay for it. No money is made from it, it just goes to pay for new stuff as I have said in the past, not to mention keeping the site on fast servers. Things like video chat wouldn't be able to run on our server unless had a good one. And I wouldn't have bothered to code in half of the other things if I didn't think people would go VIP for them, and in turn keep my out of pocket server expenses down. Catch 22 basically. Can't have your cake and eat it too in this case. :cool:

And I've been on forums that charge not only for an avatar, but every avatar change. $10 each time. Also been to places that charge JUST TO JOIN, or to access half of the main forums. :rant:

Atreyu likes this.
  6. BigBob

BigBob Registered Member

wow, and I thought the one site was bad just because they wanted you to pay for getting 1000 posts.

7. Mason

Mason phawq

Imagine a forum where you have to pay to join, login each visit, post, make threads, make polls, change avatars, change signatures, change usertitles, change theme/skin, play arcade games, etc.

8. NINnerd

NINnerd Survived a M&G with Trent

I joined a forum that is just about NYC cause I love the city, etc. You have to use one of their avatars, which are all b&w pics of movie stars, and everyone there was very unfriendly. You couldn't ask a question without someone yelling at you to google it. Ok, I can google ANYthing. The point is, I want a human to talk to me about it. You know?

I left that place shortly after joining.

9. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I was part of a forum that didn't let me have avatar unless I paid (or someone pays for me). It's also a monthly payment, like rent for space. :lol: I also had thousands of posts (top poster in fact) but that doesn't mean anything. There's also a process to follow and a wait for avatar changes. They're the only ones who can upload the avatar for you, unlike here.

There's also payment if you want to upload more than 5 pictures in your photo album. The thing is, the only way you can make pictures show up in your posts, is if they're hosted in that photoalbum. So free image hosting sites, as an alternative, are useless.

The PMs could be (and are) read by admin so goodluck if you want to tell another member that you're not happy with a certain admin/mod, via private messages. Chances are, you'll get banned.

10. Mason

Mason phawq

Sounds like a god awful forum.

ysabel likes this.