Merging some forums

Discussion in 'Ideas & Support' started by Swiftstrike, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

I brought this up earlier maybe but I will bring it up again.

What is the point in having a sub-forum for EVERY game console or system.

Half of the subforums havent been posted in ages.

I propose you merge the subforums by console company, pc and the companies like Sega and Atari will just be grouped in Misc.

So a layout like:

MS

Sony

Nintendo

PC

General Gaming

Misc

You could have subforums for each of the main consoles I guess but I dont think it would be terribly necessary to have one for each. E.G just have a PS2 and PS3 subforum and forget PS1. If you have a PS1 related question just post in the company-related forum. Or for Nintendo break it down into Hand-helds and Systems...

Thoughts on this?

2. Sephy

Sephy Forum Drifter

MS

Sony

Nintendo

PC

General Gaming

Misc

I like that.

3. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Makes sense, F-C had roughly as much traffic as GF has now and we didn't subdivide it by console, and there were never any issues. Threads about specific games (say, A Link to the Past) or the whole "Best (genre) game on the (console)?" don't lose anything by being part of a more broad topic.

Money and Finance sub-boards are similar; we should only have forums with activity that mandates their existence

4. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

I think that having them all separated into sections is good it's perfect just the way it is, this way all of the consoles and systems are included (even if some of the companies are out of production on consoles) this way each system gets it's very own section for posting in.

And say that you just want to post about Nintendo in General, instead of clicking on one of the consoles just simply click on Nintendo and you will be able to start a thread about something that has to do with Nintendo but not a specific console.

I say leave it it's perfect.

5. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

Game Boy Threads: 4 / Posts: 51
    Virtual Boy Threads: 1 / Posts: 22
    GBA Threads: 12 / Posts: 87
    CD Threads: 1 / Posts: 3
    Saturn Threads: 4 / Posts: 30
    Game Gear Threads: 3 / Posts: 29
    5200 Threads: 0 / Posts: 0
    7800 Threads: 2 / Posts: 13
    Lynx Threads: 1 / Posts: 4
    Jaguar Threads: 1 / Posts: 7

None of these forums have any reason for existing. It's a bitch to administrate (because we also have a ton of other forums that nobody ever posts in, mainly from the tabs at the top-right part of the forum), and it makes the forum look inactive. You don't need separate forums for consoles that each merit one thread.

Even the busiest retro console section have only a couple hundred posts. You notice we don't spread Politics and Politics News into Abortion/Gay Marriage/Taxation/Immigration sub-forums, even though they'd each have similar post numbers to Games.

Make forums in response to actual activity, not presumed activity or overall inclusiveness.

Swiftstrike likes this.
  6. dDave

You may be right but most of the other links are extremely active, when you look at the numbers next to the company name (Nintendo, Sega, Sony, etc.) the numbers are very very big, those forums may not get very many posts but they still belong here.

I would also be fine with getting to the different systems only available after clicking on the game comany so like if you wanted to post about the Wii then from Generalforum.com you have to click on "games", "Nintendo", then "Wii".

But of course you can only see the stats of each game maker company alltogether so I don't see what the problem is, especially since the really popular systems are getting tons of threads and posts.

7. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I think they should stay. If you think thats a lot of forums, you should have seen when we had game-specific ones.

8. dDave

Game Specific? are you serious?

There are thousands of games though! or was it more centered on entire series of games? (like Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, in general for the entire series?)

I think that some of the people from FC just aren't used to the way we do it around here, they'll get used to it though if they aren't yet used to it, because I seriously doubt Hybrix will change anything.

9. Vegito728

Vegito728 Registered Member

I like this idea. Because some forums hardly get posted in and therefore are a waste of space. Merging sections would also make it look better since it looks pretty sloppy right now imo.

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

All the popular games used to have their own forums.

But yeah, I agree. Some of the forums need to get merged together.