• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Merc's Top 5: Video Game Movies

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
So if you know me, I used to love making top lists of all sorts of things so I figured I'd start this one up again with a good, debatable topic. The criteria for this are simple: it must be a movie based on a video game/game series. Also, there are no spoilers unless I say there is going to be, meaning if you open a spoiler below, the movie will not be ruined. Also, it would be far too easy to list the worst gaming movies (but it could be substituted by suggested Uwe Boll's entire filmography).

That's it! Without further adieu, here is my personal Top 5 Gaming Movies!

Doom

Kicking off the list is Doom and it's strictly a choice based on entertainment. On the whole, it's actually quite a terrible movie. It strays from its source material by omitting the entire bit about Hell which to me is completely bullshit. Yet, I couldn't help but pick it up when I found it in the five dollar bin at Wal-Mart because despite some serious drops from the game, the action is fun and there is a nice bit of fan service at the end. Also, the Rock is in it. Not always a plus side, but his character is a type he's never done before (and still hasn't to the day). So put your brain on standby and just enjoy this one and remind yourself: at least you're not watching Super Mario!

Mortal Kombat

A childhood memory of mine and based off of the first "bad" game my parents let me play, Mortal Kombat was a favorite amongst teenaged gamers. With appearances from all the favorites such as Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Johnny Cage and the legendary Liu Kang, the only way to make a nineties kid happier was to slap on the Super Nintendo and pop some Gushers while playing the original Mortal Kombat. Sporting what are now lame and cheesy CGI effects and poor costume design, Mortal Kombat was everything mom and dad hated: blood, violence and more blood.

The story basically stuck to the game. Mortal Kombat itself is a tournament where the most renowned fighters of every realm meet to determine the fate of their worlds and to keep themselves protected from Outworld, a realm ruled by the merciless Shao Kahn. Liu Kang is the main character, a warrior monk seeking revenge on his brother's killer and the movie's main baddie, soul-stealing sorcerer Shang Tsung (pronounced "soo-ng").

Mortal Kombat can be purchased on the cheap these days usually with its inferior sequel but is worth all of the eight bucks you'll most likely pay for it. It's a good time and another one of those "turn off your brain and enjoy it".

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider
is the first one on the list I actually consider to be a decent movie. The Tomb Raider universe doesn't exactly have a lot of backstory to it so the filmmakers were able to move much more freely with the character. Angelina did a good job as the lead whose character is famous for her dry, English wit and subtle sexuality. The story is standard action fare and follows a "mystical relic" type of plot with your typical evil millionaires and ancient prophecies which is perfect for the Tomb Raider world.

It's also the only video game movie ever in my opinion to have an equally decent sequel.
The games themselves were great at the start but recent entries have done little to impress although the reboot on the horizon looks like it may finally set the game series back on a proper path. Yet, no official announcements on another movie have been made but rumors have been circling that Warner Bros announced a third movie in production focusing on her origins and may star another actress instead of Jolie to portray a younger Laura Croft.

Resident Evil

Set in the realm of the game series but with some real liberties taken, Resident Evil was and still is the best entry in the entire film series thus far which doesn't say much since the other films were horrible. However, this first entry got a lot of fans excited as it introduced new characters but stuck to the same exact storyline of Umbrella basically fucking everything up. The story follows Alice Abernathy as she tries to recover her memories during an infestation in a secret lab below what appears to be her house. She learns the secrets of the Umbrella organization

With an amazing instrumental film score by Marilyn Manson (yes, the Manson) and a decent enough story to keep you interested (oh and Milla Jovovich's tits) the movie was a success. The sinister Red Queen made for a good villain and there was plenty of zombie gore as there rightfully should have been.

The only complaints from me concern the "oh noes, I forgots'ted who I ams!" story which is way too overdone and the god-awful CGI effects of the Licker (the true villain). Other than that, the movie was a great start to what would become a crummy series. Thankfully, we can still savor what could have been.

You're all going to die down here.

Countdown Bonus:

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Boasting computer animation that was years ahead of its time, Final Fantasy: The Spirtits Within was as beautifully crafted as it was confusing. When the typical gamer thinks of Final Fantasy, he/she thinks of swords, shields, magic, monsters, sorcerors and gender ambiguity. So needless to say, it wasn't unexpected to see the masses of fans scratch their heads and rage when the movie debuted as a sci-fi tale set in the future, in space. Nevertheless, once you got past that initial shock, the movie is quite good. You can clearly tell the Final Fantasy team was behind it due to its strong story telling and style. Yet, the movie went unappreciated as it confused both its fans and those who had never heard of the series.

A no-brainer for me.
Silent Hill

It's a daunting task, to translate something into a media format that is so interactive into another that isn't. It's also common to see game developers and companies having little to no involvement in the films either. Silent Hill is a rarity in the realm of video game movies. Not only was its creator one of the creators of the film, but the entire soundtrack from the movie comes straight from the game series, retaining the same, awkwardly disturbing and mentally cracking sense of dread the Silent Hill series is famous for.

Silent Hill follows a desperate mother trying to rid her daughter of vicious nightmares of a town by the same name. What develops is a truly twisted tale of religious fanaticism and judgment that centers on a little girl and a disgusting tragedy that dooms an entire town of citizens through their hatred and violence. Silent Hill truly captures the feel of the games with such a story which is actually somewhat of a combination of Silent Hill 1 and 2.

The movie has top notch CGI work, excellent acting and a well-developed story. Your skin will crawl when the town first "sheds its skin" and the shrieks and drones of the creatures in the town are spot on with the game series. The non-human villains are well crafted and feel like their labored breathing is real and crawling down your back and their mystery adds to the suspense while the human villains will evoke your strongest feelings of hatred and pity. Everything about the movie is good and makes for an especially twisted time. So long as you aren't one of those new generation horror fans who believe gore is everything.

Speaking of which, the movie boasts two of the more brutal deaths I've ever witnessed in a film, both happening at the end of the film. The end which by the way, is another spectacular scene and one of the better 'revenge' sequences you'll see. The very end of the film is open for interpretation, which for some reason bothers people, and leaves you with some things to ponder. Why it annoys people so much I'll never understand. Needless to say, Silent Hill would make my top 25 most likely and it's easily the greatest video game film made so far.
So there you have it!

Agree? Disagree? Think there are some movies that should be up there or shouldn't be? Let's hear!

BigBob

Registered Member
I think they're all good choices, but the only one I wouldn't put on there is Silent Hill.. but that's only because I've never played any of the games. My list would probably have Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil in the top 2, but I loved all of the movies (except I haven't seen Resident Evil 3D).

Doom was suprisingly good, even though it didn't really seem like the game.. except at the end whenever they go first-person.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I think they're all good choices, but the only one I wouldn't put on there is Silent Hill.. but that's only because I've never played any of the games. My list would probably have Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil in the top 2, but I loved all of the movies (except I haven't seen Resident Evil 3D).

Doom was suprisingly good, even though it didn't really seem like the game.. except at the end whenever they go first-person.
Spoilers please for the Doom mention? I didn't mention it for the same reason.

I didn't even play a lot of the Silent Hill games but in terms of all aspects its simply the best one made. Production values, acting, computer effects, etc.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
It's my experience that video games and the film industry don't get along. At least 90% of games based off films suck, and it seems to be the same for films based off games. I don't know why but it just never seems to work. Even all the ones you listed I would only consider "okay" at best.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I agree with the top two for sure. That was the only live-action Resident Evil movie that was any good. The rest of that series is just terrible. Silent Hill was a good movie overall, definitely deserves the top spot.

The only one I'd remove is Tomb Raider. I didn't care for it. Off the top of my head, I'm not exactly sure what I'd replace it with. Maybe I'd move Doom up and put Resident Evil: Degeneration in there. Everyone seemed to hate that movie, but at least it didn't shit all over the source material like Anderson's craptastic movies did. Haha.

Max Payne is also a guilty pleasure of mine.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I thought Degeneration was just awful. If I had to change the 5 spot, I'd give it to Resident Evil Extinction. It's the only other one in the series I'll watch again.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Hmm... can anything good come out of this topic?

There are just NO good video game adaptations. I did some research and found that Rotten Tomatoes did a VG adaptation countdown, and none were above 50%. Even number one?

My thoughts on the countdown? Total bull. I despised every single one of those films and I thought they just were bleh. They all gave video games a bad name.

My top 3:

3. Pokémon the First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back (1999). DON'T JUDGE.
2. Resident Evil: Extinction (2007)
and my number 1...

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)

Why can't Bruckheimer just make all of the video game adaptations. Great way to build a VG comeback in the theaters!

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Rotten Tomatoes isn't the end all of movie ratings, FYI.

Also, the Pokemon movie? Really? I'm judging you.

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I like the Mortal Combat and Tomb Raider movies and games. The others I have either not played or seen but now this makes want to see/play them!