Mennonite College lifts 116 Year old Ban on Star Spangled Banner

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by icegoat63, Feb 21, 2010.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Should colleges and private entities be able to have done this in the first place? Im talking Flat out Ban its Countries National Anthem? This doesnt feel wrong to me... it just feels weird as I can understand why there is such a desire to flat out ban it like they did for so long.

What are your thoughts on Colleges or other Private Entities Banning National Elements like the Anthem, the Flag, or maybe the Pledge of Allegiance?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

"Ban" is kind of a weird word for it, because it's not like they necessarily had a problem with students doing it on their own; the school just wouldn't do it as an organization.

It's not like banning weapons, where not only does the school not use them, they don't allow them on campus. I doubt anybody would get in trouble for singing it on their own.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  3. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I think it's sad that they don't play the national anthem before any events but they cetainly have the right not to and the students who are opposed to playing certainly have the right to feel like they do.

Should they be able to do this in the first place? Absolutely. I just disagree with not playing it.