• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies Memento: You think Christopher Nolan is great now? well he was before too!

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Most of you will now know Christopher Nolan for his reboot of the Batman series and possibley "The Prestige". However there is one other gem in his film writing / directing career that I feel has been completely over looked by this forum. That film is Memento, and I'm going to explain to you all why it is worthy of your attention.
Christopher Nolan loves to play around with narrative, his films don't necesarily begin at the start of the story and like wise don't end at the end. If you've seen Batman Begins or The prestige (I havn't seen the Dark knight yet) you will understand what I'm talking about. In fact he seems to feel completely unbound by the standard way in which a story unfolds at all. This makes him one of the greatest directors of our time.
The plot of Memento is basically this; A man's home is invaded, he is attacked and his wife is raped and killed. The man, played by Guy Pearce (L.A confidential) suffers brain trauma from his attack and can no longer develop new memories. In other words his short term memory fades after a short period of time. He attempts to track down his wifes killer regardless of his disability by writing all the clues he discovers on his body in the form of tatoos. The plot is interesting as it stands however this is not the main drawing point of Memento.
The fantastic thing about Memento is that the plot actually unfolds backwards! Every scene that happens actually preceeds the scene that it follows chronologically. Also to add this complete disruption of story telling is that, every scene thats working backwards has a black and white scene in between it. The black and white scenes are all moving forwards in chronology and you learn that these scenes take place before all the colour scenes. So what you have is two time lines weaving in and out of eachother in opposite directions untill they actually join up. I know it sounds confusing but trust me it is a confusion that you will enjoy. Once you see this film you will instantly want to watch it again so that you can understand it further.
Memento is a must see for anyone who has realised what a great director Christopher Nolan is.

Obdurate

Registered Member
Yeah, he's really become a household name because of Batman (much like Bale) but along with Memento, Following was also a good movie.

I don't classify Nolan as a favourite director, although I've liked all his movies and TDK is one of my faves, he's a painfully CONSISTENT director and not many can say that.

Anyways, Memento has a nice gimmick but it doesn't get bogged down by it. It's been a while since I saw it but it's played out really well. There's solid acting, solid direction. Cinematography's good.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I don't classify Nolan as a favourite director, although I've liked all his movies and TDK is one of my faves, he's a painfully CONSISTENT director and not many can say that.
Yeah that's a good point, however there is one of his films which I didn't enjoy that much, Insomnia. It just seemed really slow and I wasn't that absorbed by it. However Memento, Batman Begins and The Prestige are in my list of favourites. I'm sure I'll feel the same about The Dark Knight when I see it tommorow :D

Obdurate

Registered Member
You will. The Dark Knight is a masterpiece, no doubts about it. Everyone in it gives an amazing performance. People say a lot about Ledger and his acting in it is the work of legend, but Eckhart was really great too. Bale, Oldman, Freeman, Caine... all great.

The movie out Heats Heat. Says a lot, really.

I actually haven't seen Insomnia... I think that's the only one. I'll watch it sometime though.

Italiano

Film Elitist
Well, (EDIT) MEMENTO's sequencing was structured according to how it was written and edited. Don't get me wrong, the direction is nothing less than great but the construction of the story is the writer's and the editor's doing... mostly. I'm sure Chris Nolan worked with his brother on any necessary changes.

Last edited:

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Well, MOMENTO's sequencing was structured according to how it was written and edited. Don't get me wrong, the direction is nothing less than great but the construction of the story is the writer's and the editor's doing... mostly. I'm sure Chris Nolan worked with his brother on any necessary changes.
I'm not sure if your trying to imply that I've spelt it incorrectly or if you just write film names in bold but trust me, it's Memento with an "E". I think Christopher Nolan wrote this one alone, however it was based on the same concept as his brothers short story. They are very different stories but the basic premise is the same. You are right though, I shouldn't neccesarily be praising the direction as much as the writing / editing but Chris had such a large part in all of it I was just acknowledging his greatness in all aspects.

Italiano

Film Elitist
I'm not sure if your trying to imply that I've spelt it incorrectly or if you just write film names in bold but trust me, it's Memento with an "E". I think Christopher Nolan wrote this one alone, however it was based on the same concept as his brothers short story. They are very different stories but the basic premise is the same. You are right though, I shouldn't neccesarily be praising the direction as much as the writing / editing but Chris had such a large part in all of it I was just acknowledging his greatness in all aspects.
What? Oh, no I didn't even realize I spelled it wrong. I just got tired of putting quotations and just started using CAPS for movies.

Actually his brother John Nolan wrote it with Nolan. Specifically John wrote the story and they co-wrote the screenplay. Although that's more speculation but often they separate the credits out of protocol. I wouldn't be surprised if a few no-names helped out too.

Oh of course Nolan's direction played a huge part. I'm sure he had a say in how some of the scenes were either used in post-production and the flow of the story.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I love Memento! I have it on Dvd, it's one of those films that's kinda slow but still interesting. I'd love to see a...uh...prequal XD

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I loved Memento. It was very well done.

I especially loved how it was told backwards. It worked perfectly for the movie and had the right effect.