• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Member Feedback: Duplicate Threads

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
We get a lot of reported posts about duplicate threads, and the rule of thumb for us is typically to merge the threads or close the new one and link to the old one if the old thread is less than a year old.

The staff are currently discussing this unofficial 1 year rule, but we want to hear from you before we possibly make any changes.

So how do duplicate threads make you feel? Warm and fuzzy? Or do they make you want to go kick kittens? What is a reasonable amount of time that should pass before topics should be allowed to be remade?

Please share your thoughts.

Konshentz

Konshentz
I bet I report a good number of those threads. Haha. It annoys the shit out of me, especially if the first thread was only made a few months before. I know GF's search feature is iffy, but I can still find what I'm looking for a decent amount of time.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
My opinion is that we should set a guideline (note: not a rule) that we should allow new threads to be created six months after the last post in the same/similar thread. I did have the opinion that it was six months after the OP but that wouldn't be logical.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think 6 months after the last post would be good too. Changed my mind on that one a little myself. I think a year is too long to try to go back and make sure your not starting a duplicate thread. Look how many pages a year is on some forums.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I bet I report a good number of those threads. Haha. It annoys the shit out of me, especially if the first thread was only made a few months before. I know GF's search feature is iffy, but I can still find what I'm looking for a decent amount of time.
That's pretty much how I feel as well. Search isn't great, but it works.

For me, a lot depends on the topic though. The topics that encourage more back and forth discussion, I don't mind seeing repeats of them. But like, "Are you an optimist or a pessimist?" or threads like that where you can give short answers and there's no real discussion, I can't stand seeing the same ones pop up every year. I think having them once every six months would drive me crazy.

And for threads about specific TV shows, movies, or video games, etc, I don't think we should ever have duplicates. When you're searching for something like that, it's so much better if it's all contained in one thread so you can quickly read through.

Konshentz

Konshentz
And for threads about specific TV shows, movies, or video games, etc, I don't think we should ever have duplicates. When you're searching for something like that, it's so much better if it's all contained in one thread so you can quickly read through.
I agree. The entertainment section is where I find most of the ones I report. I sometimes let the others slide.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I basically agree with what has already been said in this thread. Movies and TV shows do tend to come up when you search for them, so there shouldn't be any duplicates. Discussions along the line of "favorite color" or "optimist or pessimist" shouldn't come up more than once a year. That's unless we get a massive influx of new members, but even then they can refer to the original thread, so merging threads might be good then.

In my opinion, the only threads that are ok to duplicate in less than a year are personal discussion or advice threads, that are specific to the OP's situation.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
What's so magical about one year? If a thread has been dead for months is it always beneficial to try and revive the old thread?

Sometimes a thread dies because it goes in a bad direction. Other times the OP made the thread in poor quality and even though the thread is dumb the topic is off limits for a whole year?

I won't even tell you guys where I stand, just some questions to think about.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I won't even tell you guys where I stand, just some questions to think about.
Why not? This is a topic designed for sharing opinions and clearly you have one. Any input is valuable to any decision we have to make.

dDave

V.I.P.
Why not? This is a topic designed for sharing opinions and clearly you have one. Any input is valuable to any decision we have to make.
Part of the problem is what I mentioned in the staff room. I don't really know what I really think on this. :lol:

Admittedly, there are definitely pros and cons to both approaches being discussed. Makes it hard to decide. You know I embrace change but only when I feel sure it's right to make the change.