• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Melvin Upton Jr. traded to the Blue Jays

TheRealVJ

Registered Member
Want to talk about a robbery? Ross Atkins and the crew just traded prospect Hansel Rodriguez to the San Diego Padres in exchange for Melvin Upton Jr. and cash. Plus, the Padres will eat $17 million owed to Upton; Jays essentially paying him only $5 million. What an incredible deal for the Jays. Upton's a legit 20/20 guy, and that speed can certainly help this ball club. He's also good defensively, which can spell the woes of Saunders and Bautista. Talk is that he'd be all over the outfield while the Jays DH Saunders and Bautista more often. But man, to get that bat and speed at such low price is very good.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
At first, I didn’t like the trade at all, but when I found out how much of the contract the Padres will be paying, I changed my tune right away. Definitely a good addition to the team. I wonder how they’ll utilize him. We’ll he be a regular in the outfield? Or, will he be a fourth outfielder?

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I would think ol' Melvin would be a fourth outfielder. Solid utility player from the bench for the Jays. That being said, I can't remember offhand the other outfield choices outside of Joey Bats, I have to admit haha.He's not an overly impressive player but to get him for cheap I think it's a smart acquisition.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Busy day for the Jays. Melvin Upton Jr. this morning and right after tonight's game, they traded Drew Storen to Seattle for Joachim Benoit. I know that he's been struggling this season with the Mariners but if it worked with Jason Grilli after he came here from Atlanta, maybe Benoit can do better as well.

Still wondering now if they'll keep seeking that starting pitcher.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Melvin got a huge reception when he pinched hit last night. He grounded out, but his speed definitely was a key factor from that play being a double play.

I'm happy Storen is gone, but I'm definitely no fan of Benoit. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

The two other outfielders are:

Kevin Pillar
Michael Saunders

@Unity