Meditation

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
Does anyone Meditate?

I'm looking into starting; not according to any specific faith really, but just to clear my mind and such on a daily basis. I'm thinking of buying "Mediation for Dummies." As overdone as those books are, it's by an expert on the field and has gotten rave reviews! It draws on many faiths, techniques, etc. and puts it in a generalist context.

Speaking of faiths & mediation...I'm Catholic, and my oldest brother is a Jesuit Priest. He knows of a Jesuit scholar that wrote a book on how to incorporate our faith into regular meditation; I'm not sure of the title actually, just thought people might be interested. I can find out.

Interested in hearing peoples' thoughts and experience regarding meditation!

Blueyes

Registered Member
Doesn't yoga incorporate this in some way because I know the YMCA has yoga classes I could go to that could help teach that.

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
Doesn't yoga incorporate this in some way because I know the YMCA has yoga classes I could go to that could help teach that.
I believe it does, but I'm not 100% sure. Don't quote me on that. :D

Are you saying that you'd like to go to that, or are you advising me to?

Blueyes

Registered Member
Well it was more of an offer for you if you had a YMCA at least in your area lol I'm not sure I could do it considering all the crap I have to deal with, I'd probably go off on someone before I even get to the mediative section.

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
Well it was more of an offer for you if you had a YMCA at least in your area lol I'm not sure I could do it considering all the crap I have to deal with, I'd probably go off on someone before I even get to the mediative section.
lol...take a few deep breaths, I don't want to face your wrath!! :nod:

I actually wouldn't fare well in a yoga class. Due to the side effects of a medication, I ended up having hip replacement surgery on both sides...and I'm only 25. Crazy, huh?

Not the most flexible guy on the planet.

Blueyes

Registered Member
bilat hips at 25 good lord....

I may be flexible but it just sort of irks me the way they have to put themselves when I see it sometimes.

Unity

Jedi Mind Tricks
Staff member
bilat hips at 25 good lord....

I may be flexible but it just sort of irks me the way they have to put themselves when I see it sometimes.
Even if I were flexible I'd rather make my form of mediation more about thought than about body position.

:) ..meditation should be about as advanced as breathing, and as simple as peace of mind, I guess. ..I tend to write or draw - that becomes a way to pick at my thoughts, and looking at them from a different point of view, externalising the way thoughts work. But.. probably might not be an idea to start out on your own (see: martial arts, like maybe Taekwon- do variants that use Qigong for readying and rest, and so on). I mean, there should be some purpose to it, other than willing yourself to be calm once in a while, that kind of thing...

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I'm flexible enough, I guess, at least when it comes to stretching, but I can't do any that crazy yoag nehind-my-head-thing :lol:

I occasionally practise a form of Chi meditation, of sorts, I found something online ages ago, and then used to to my purposes :lol:

It basically uses visualisation of the mind and breathing, etc. I can basically move energy, or Chi, if you like, around my body. Eventually you can sort of, push it out your hands and stuff, but you have to be able to maintain the concentration which can be hard. I do it once every so often, when I feel stressed or anything.

Last edited:

raye_raye

my bologna has a 1st name
anyone look into shamanism? where you 'journey'? I have a friend who claims that she is an active shaman and says that a 'journey' is one of the most liberating and rejuvenating experiences...its really associated with meditation.. give it a look about