Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by DinoFlintstone, Oct 6, 2008.

1. DinoFlintstone

DinoFlintstone "There can be only one!"

What do you think? Should it be allowed?
    I'm in my very early 30's. Up until a few years ago, I smoked a lot of cannabis, but I eventually quit, though quiting had nothing to do with me being against it. I'm not against cannabis.

One thing I did do was to make excuses as to why I smoked it. I sometimes used to say it helped make me feel better, i.e I wouldn't be too well without it. Maybe I believed that at the time, or maybe I was lying to myself. In the past while, I was diagnosed with kidney disease, and 'with' the disease, I've had other pains here and there. Just since I got an almost random opportunity, I smoked some cannabis, and I couldn't believe how good it was, it actually soothed away my pain. I found-out for real that taking it for pain is not an excuse.

That was just a random opportunity, I don't really smoke it just now, but I would.

I think it's a great drug [remember, it's a cliché, but 'alcohol' 'tobacco' 'coffee' etc, etc are 'drugs' too]. As with the likes of alcohol which should be illegal to under 18's [or 21's in some parts of the world], I think so should cannabis, but beyond the legal age, we should be allowed to choose.

Baring in mind that alcohol is bad for your physical and mental health, yet it is legal and celebrated, then I can not see any good arguments against cannabis, especially if you only talk about people that started to use it after an adult age.

What are your thoughts?

This is my first thread so 'Hello.'

Bananas likes this.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

There's no question it should be legal, for medicinal purposes or not. If it helps alleviate symptoms and has no major side effects, why is it illegal?

3. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Hey Dino here my thoughts~:

Yeah, it should be allowed. If the positives out weigh the negatives and it is of any physical or psychological benefit then I believe it should be allowed for medical reasons.

Alcohol, just like many drugs can be good for you as long as it is in moderation. The problem with alcohol is that it is exploited and abused. The risks are taken for granted and promotion is more prevalent than education. In someways the opposite is true of marijuana, whilst it remains illegal there are two clear sides to the arguement on its consumption, some people see it as an illegal drug and thus it is bad, whilst others see it as harmless, schools teach what is wrong with the drug, whilst ignoring the fact that something like *60% of the students will go onto try the drug and a further *5% will become habitual smokers(*rough stats I made up). Even within the medicla proffession there are confusing and conflicting arguements. A General Practitioner(Doctor) can not condone marjijuana use if it is illegal, yet on an ethical basis if it is benefiting the patient then he can neither advise against it. It is left to the patient to find out what is good/bad for them! just like it is for the school kids! Education is key and in both instances it is better as advice rather than as the statute rule. Knowledge is better than being uninstructed.

4. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Fitness and Health has nothing to do with legalizing plants....

~Shwa

5. RATTIE

RATTIE Registered Member

The only alcoholic beverage I can recall of hearing referred to as good for you is red wine and only 1 glass a day, yet others are still widely available and promoted.
    It also has quite a habit of turning people in to arse-holes.

I really don't know why it is illegal.
    The worst I've seen happen because of smoking is someone having a whitey.
    More people leave a floor pizza on a regular basis because of drink though.

Alcohol can make a lot of people argumentative or just generally want a fight.
    Stoners just wanna be left to chill or giggle away.

It has been proven to help relieve the symptoms of many illnesses.
    Those I know who smoke and have visited the doctor for serious ilnesses have practically got a pat on the back and told (off record) that it's the best thing they could do for themselves under the circumstances.

Oh yeah, just to add, I personally don't smoke it myself.
    ...........or eat it.
    ...........or anything else for that matter.

6. SourGummyWorms

SourGummyWorms New Member

Hi all

I believe people should have the right to choose for themselves to use it or not. We don't need the government telling us we can't, and when they do it creates a counter-culture around the banned substance, and people tend to abuse it more than if it were legal.

7. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

The only thing that makes me a tad bit nervous is this recent business of marijuana being related to mental illness and the carcinogens in the smoke.

8. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

besides the many benefits of medicinal marijuana: i'm in strong support of marijuana being legalised. for a number of social reasons.

A legal, regulated marijuana market would be better for all concerned. It would heavily reduce marijuana use and sales among teenagers especially. Plus the added risk of teenagers being expsed to other harder drugs in the illagal market.

It would make the industrial production of hemp much more possible, which can be used as a bio-feul to reduce CO2 emissions. Did you know before marijuana was outlawed in america (due to racism, the fall of the cotton industry and LIES) most farmers HAD to grow hemp by law, because it was very valuable. George Washington grew hemp!

Economically, the legalisation of marijuana would have huge benefits. Not only would the drug itself be able to be taxed (exactly the same as alcohol or cigarettes) but as mentioned above the hemp market would have huge benefits to countries whose current marijuana laws prevent it's industrial growth. Also, The legal sale of marijuana would take away the HUGE profits earned by illegal dealers. Often part of, or run by, criminal organisations.

And finally: Marijuana is SAFE. not one person has ever died from marijuana use. and anybody that has died from illnesses related to smoking would have had the same illnesses from just smoking tobacco. think how many people die from overdoses of other drugs (including alcohol) each year? now compare it to the illegal, 'dangerous' drug marijuana. ZERO.

Bananas and RATTIE like this.
  9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Marijuana has never killed the user, but has definitely caused people to kill one another through serious accidents such as driving under the influence of it.

10. wooly

wooly I am the woolrus

Still the fact that nobody has actually died purely from the consumption of marijuana for me classifies it as 'safe'

people also die in car crashes due to alcohol, prescription drug, tiredness or, in some cases, pure stupidity.

but it's not like we can make stupidity illegal now can we? :p

of course i don't think that anyone should ever drive under the influence of marijuana, the same as any drug. but it's by no means a valid argument for it being illegal. (especially as, as far as i know, the statistics for it would be pretty low. especially when compared with things such as basic human error)