Medical Care and Religion

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Steerpike, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steerpike

Steerpike Registered Member

When, if ever, is it right for someone to deny medical care to/for another person for “religious reasons?”

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

Never.

If a doctor does not wish to give medical care, they should excuse him/her and get a doctor in there who will in actually follow the code he/she pledged to follow. As a doctor, you help people no matter what your beliefs. If you can't, then you shouldn't be a doctor.

3. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

Although the wording has changed over the years, doctors do still take the hippocratic oath, which makes your question a moot point.

Unless you're referring to family members denying the care? Your question isn't very clear. If that's the case, then I guess it would be up to whatever the family believed to be right.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  4. Steerpike

What if they are the only doctor?

The question is meant to be viewed from both sides; one who could administer said treatment and one who is deciding for another such as family members whether they should receive such treatment.

If a family member, say a parent, decides for what they claim is "religious reasons" to deny medical treatment to their child and their child then dies, should they be held legally responsible for that death?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  5. Merc

Then that doctor should be fired and expelled from practicing medicine. As it has been said already, doctors take the Hippocratic oath, meaning they must treat their patients regardless of what they actually believe.

6. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

Steerpike your question is worded oddly.

A doctor cannot deny treatment for religious reasons...

If you are talking about a patient refusing treatment because of religious reasons that is their choice.

7. Merc

Same here Swift, I'm pretty sure a doctor can't deny treating a patient without risking loss of their medical license.

8. Blueyes

Blueyes Registered Member

Well if they have their own private practice they have the right to refuse any patients they want to for whatever reason. Most of the ones I see are because of insurance purposes. You could also ask this question of pharmacists since the whole plan B pill came up and some pharmacists will not give it out even though they are not allowed to choose that option either.

9. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

The only aspect of religion effecting care with a doctor that I have heard of is people within a specific religion that don't believe in medical or prescription care.

And the only religion that I have heard of that denies this type of hospital care are the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Why would someone be a doctor to just treat people within an acceptable religion? As long as the moneys there the doctor will help the patient.

10. Steerpike

Can't legally, or can't physically or can't ethically?

Some doctors refuse services for religious reasons - USATODAY.com

No. The question deals with someone else refusing the patient for what they claim are "religious reasons." Anyone answering the question should note that "religious reasons" is in quotes.

Catholic World News : Study: Refusing Medical Treatment For Children Leads To Deaths

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.