• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Media Player of Choice?

Favorite Music Player?

• Windows Media Player

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winamp

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • iTunes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • foobar2000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
What's your favorite media player for music on your computer, and why?

I use Winamp, mostly because I really enjoy the stunning Milkdrop visualizers that it comes bundled with (they look absolutely beautiful and are entrancing on my big tv, and I get tons of compliments every time I put them on). I also enjoy the ability to easily skin it so the player's appearance fits my changing aesthetic desires. No complains about audio quality or organizational features, and it runs quickly and smoothly despite my gigantic music library. My biggest problem with it is that it's not easy to use it to load music onto my friends' Apple products, though that's more a complaint with their devices requiring proprietary software than the player's inability to find a good workaround.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
When I used to use windows, Winamp was my goto choice as well for a long time, mostly because of the skinnability of it. I hate having my computer too bright, especially if i'm on it a lot in a day, so being able to put on dark skins to match my windows theme was great.

Eventually though I switched to using a program called foobar2000. It was a simple media player. Just select the folder your music was in, and as long as all the mp3's were tagged properly, it would load it all up in one list, and you could easily find everything, played with great quality and never bogged down the computer. Also, you could change the colour of every part of the GUI so that was fun.

Now I use Ubuntu, so I use a program called Audacious. Its pretty much the linux equivalent of what foobar was. Simple, light, easy on the computer and also had the ability to be turned whatever colour I want.

dDave

V.I.P.
I was on Windows Media Player many many years ago (like 10+) but I've been on iTunes ever since.

I have my entire library in a combination of Apple lossless, FLAC, WAV, and 128/256/320kbps mp3. The majority of my stuff is in Apple Lossless though. I sort of regret not going with FLAC for the whole thing but with more than 90gb of all legal content it's kind of dumb to bother with it at this point.

I use iTunes because it works well with my iPhone 5S. I had a 4S before and still have an iPod nano 4th gen. Using iTunes just gets rid of a lot of issues with Apple product compatibility. I don't really have any problems with iTunes.

Funnily enough, it's the only thing on my PC that ever freezes. Take that Apple fanboys.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Where the hell is VLC?

I hate the shit out of iTunes, but I'm stuck with it since it's the easiest way to obtain music and organize my iPod. Plus I'd rather not give my information again to another music store.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Where the hell is VLC?
For some reason I was just thinking of how I play my music. I us VLC for videos for sure. Its great because it plays EVERYTHING. Sometimes it even plays videos that were only half downloaded haha. Only plays half of em, but still.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
That's cool that you used to use foobar2000, Smelnick... I've heard lots of great things about it, and if it weren't for losing the visualizers that Winamp provides, I'd probably be using that myself. Apparently the learning curve is somewhat high in that program, but it's supposed to be totally worth it for the lightweight, full-functioned customizability it offers.

dDave, 90gb of legal content is a lot! I've got twice that much harddrive space in music (mostly v0 mp3, for that sweet spot of quality and file size), but none of it is purchased. I can't imagine how much you must have spent on all that music, and props to you for investing in lossless.

I left VLC off the list because I figure most people use it for video rather than audio, and I was mostly wondering about how people play their music... I suppose saying "media player" was a bit ambiguous in that regard, but if people use it for music you can vote "other" I guess. I do use VLC as my primary video player though (slightly nicer inteface and playback than Media Player Classic, even though it bugs me a lot that you can't click the screen to pause playback), and it's a good program for sure.

dDave

V.I.P.
That's cool that you used to use foobar2000, Smelnick... I've heard lots of great things about it, and if it weren't for losing the visualizers that Winamp provides, I'd probably be using that myself. Apparently the learning curve is somewhat high in that program, but it's supposed to be totally worth it for the lightweight, full-functioned customizability it offers.

dDave, 90gb of legal content is a lot! I've got twice that much harddrive space in music (mostly v0 mp3, for that sweet spot of quality and file size), but none of it is purchased. I can't imagine how much you must have spent on all that music, and props to you for investing in lossless.

I left VLC off the list because I figure most people use it for video rather than audio, and I was mostly wondering about how people play their music... I suppose saying "media player" was a bit ambiguous in that regard, but if people use it for music you can vote "other" I guess. I do use VLC as my primary video player though (slightly nicer inteface and playback than Media Player Classic, even though it bugs me a lot that you can't click the screen to pause playback), and it's a good program for sure.
I know at least one person that uses VLC to play music.

And yeah 90GB is a LOT. To get a specific number (now that I'm back at home on my PC) it's 93.58 GB and a total of 14.6 days on exactly 5700 songs.

I've been buying music for years and years. I'm still into buying CDs which I think is awesome. If I get them on eBay or Amazon or whatever then it's usually cheaper than buying the digital on iTunes (though with some stuff I don't bother and just accept hte 256kbps from iTunes). From what I understand, most lossless files are ripped straight from CDs anyway.

I put the files on my 32GB phone at 256kbps because it takes up much less space.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
Haha no kidding about the less space... I've got 189.43gb of music, totaling 94 days and 31911 songs. My harddrive wouldn't appreciate how much more space that would take if I were to upgrade to flac (and talk about a huge project), though I certainly wouldn't mind having them all else being equal. With those nice files, do you have a nice sound system or headphones? Mine is pretty good, a decent sound bar with a sub, but not like.. that good, so I don't feel like v0 loses too much on me or anything.

What's VLC like as a music player? I've only ever really used it or seen it used for video. I was aware that it could also play audio files, but I kind of assumed that was just a side feature?

dDave

V.I.P.
Refer to post #12 in this thread... http://www.generalforum.com/technology/some-new-speakers-110332.html#post1284587

That's what my speaker setup looks like. It's pretty nice. :)

As for headphones, I have a set of White JBL Bassline DJ Style headphones that do it for me. JBL Bassline | DJ Style Over-Ear Headphones | JBL US

Trust me, on that big stereo I have you can hear every little detail with such stunning clarity so long as you have the right files. 256kbps sounds pretty good (though 320 or lossless still sounds noticeably better), 128kbps clearly sounds like crap if you're paying attention to it though.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I use VLC. Theres never any issues with file formats and theres tons of skins. You can even add your own custom skins. Also its excellent for movies and videos too. Its like having an extra TV in my room. But I never use it for MP3s. If I just wanna listen to music I pop some music CDs into my stereo. It has an awesome sound system that can rattle the windows!