• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Media Bias

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
In America, are all mainstream media institutions biased to a great degree? What are they biased towards? Which ones are the least biased? The most biased?

Ilus_Unistus

Registered Member
I have found most media outlets are and will be bias to one degree or the other according to a countries politics, I do not think a true fair and balanced media exist anymore.

But I have found your best, and most truthful media outlets will be those not of your country. It is like here our media is very anti-Russian, so of course all Estonian media says "The Russians did this or that" But if I look to maybe the BBC it will show a better view of what truly happened, and sometimes it is Estonia I feel that causes its own problems in some instances with Russia.

I think as a citizen of any country, it is up to you to find better, more truthful sources other than available in your country before making a decision about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I looked around and didn't find it, if I'm wrong please close this!

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I looked around and didn't find it, if I'm wrong please close this!
It's cool man, good thread.

I don't know much about the american media. However, up until recently, I didn't really get what people meant about the bias. However, with the Canadian election looming, I'm starting to get a good feel for the bias haha. It's really easy to pick out which networks are biased to where during campaign time.

One newspaper I usually read, the Winnipeg Sun, has nothing good to say about the Liberal party. All I ever read about is the greatness of the Conservative Pary of Canada. However, if you watch CBC, they do nothing but tote the greatness of the Liberal Party and attack the CPC. Humourously enough, they both figure that the NDP(New Democratic Party) are in the back pockets of the their respective totees.

So to answer your main question, it's quite obvious that mainstream media is biased. It probably has a lot to do with who is writing for them, and who's in charge and their own political affiliations. Also, it depends on who funds them. I doubt there's any way to avoid bias. If you want the truth, you have to read things from both sides, and try to see where things match up. I find Venn diagrams helpful :lol:

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
Well in Canada, there's actually a law stating that media institutions can't make false statements- thus certain news outlets popular elsewhere can't be broadcast in Canada because they'd be liable to prosecution.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I think true journalism died long ago. Sure they are biased, most are liberal, a few are conservative. But that's just the way it is.

Let me ask a question: do you think it is possible to have an unbiased media outlet? Would real journalism sell in today's market? By this I mean the reporting of facts without interpretation or opinion. Would you watch, listen to, and or read? Or do you prefer your media to reflect your own opinions and feelings?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's impossible to have a non bias newsmedia when newsmedia itself is in fact, a business. The goal of a business is profit and that almost always entails partnerships and sponsors to keep your business strong. This means you'll have to play by their rules including keeping their ties and relationships strong with those in power. As viewers, we tend to just pick the station that panders to us the most and we stick to them.

I've personally never understood the claim that the media has a liberal bias and I've yet to see something to really prove it or drive the point home. I think it's just been a popular talking point for so long that people assume it must have credibility.