Media Bias Against Conservatives

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by CaptainObvious, Sep 2, 2010.

1. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

This is off topic but I thought worth mentioning. This has always irked me and shows the author's bias. Most protests and rallies are attended by white people yet it's only when it's a conservative rally the ethnicity of those attending is mentioned. I was watching an anti-war rally on CSPAN right about the time of the '08 election and all the speakers and almost all of those in attendance were white. I didn't see any mention of that during in any article or in any commentary about the rally. Only that it was attended to by thousands of people expressing the freedom of speech and rallying against George Bush. Funny how that works.

EDIT: This post was originally in BR's thread about a woman's constitutional right to go topless. The point is when you start a blog, article, column, etc. with that kind of sophmoric Ann Colertish nonsense it's somewhat difficult to take the rest of your topic seriously. I admittedly didn't read the rest of the blog, I figured the author is a moron and stopped reading. Although I do intend now to go back and read it and maybe comment on it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm not sure how it shows bias. I think it's just stating a common trend. Almost the entire audience was white, which is worth mentioning since Beck decided that he would dedicate the rally to Martin Luther King who at my last memory was quite black and fighting injustice through his words not like men such as Beck who suggests war and fear mongering.

Also, why would he mention the rally outside of utilizing it as a juicy opening? The rally had nothing to do with the topic at hand, it was just an intro. The media is bias towards us all, not just conservatives. Also, a random blog by a fairly small website does not really drive the nail home in terms of proving some conspiracy of the topic at hand. There is plenty of bias against conservatives, liberals, republicans, democrats, tea partiers, libertarians, women, men, blacks, whites, reds, yellows, browns, dogs, cats, etc.

We could spend all day pointing everything out.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

King also said people should be judged on the content of their character, not the color of their skin.

So race aside, a rally was held on the 28th. Some 500,000 people went to it. What's the problem?

Also, I could be wrong, but as far as I know Beck did NOT dedicate the rally to MLK. The rally had nothing to do with King and the August 28th date was not meant to relate to the MLK rally. Just because a rally was held in the past on a specific day doesn't mean it's forever off limits for future rallies now does it?

4. CaptainObvious

The large majority of active environmentalists are white yet when I read, see, or hear a report on a protest, rally, whatever I don't hear "a group of white atheist environmentalists held a rally today" unless it's coming from Ann Coulter. She's villified, rightfully so, yet when CNN does it in regards to the Tea Party they aren't. That's the bias.

5. Merc

You're also, once again, comparing a massive news organization to some sweaty dude with a blog. I think we're talking apples and butt plugs here.

6. CaptainObvious

No I'm not, I'm only using the blog as an example. If anyone has been watching CNN, MSNBC, read the New York Times, the words "white Christian conservatives" are used again and again when describing protests and rallies such as the Tea Party. I find that description to be irrelevant if they're not going to describe the ethical makeup of these rallies every time.

7. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Most of the major networks were taking special care to mention the race of the majority of the people there. Technically any large gathering (for the most part) in the US is going to have whites as the majority.

Should the next NFL game be announced as "100,000 people, mostly white, showed up to watch the Green Bay Packers take on the Denver Broncos".

Or what about the fact that most of CNN's news anchors are white. Just click around here: Pictures of CNN, CNN International & CNN Headline News Anchors

I see a lot of "white" people. When referring to CNN, should other news networks say "CNN, a network made up of mostly white anchors?"

The point CO is trying to make is that adding the fact that a majority of the Glenn Beck rally attendees were white is an extremely biased and twisted way of speaking. Of course most of them will be white. Just as most people in the US happen to be white. Being white has nothing to do with your political stance or moral code. There are white people in the US of all sorts of beliefs and values. There is no generic stance that white people take. There is no reason to "matter of factly" state that a "Conservative rally" was made up of mostly white people when not stating that exact same fact about any other political rally or event, which 9 times out of 10 would also be mostly made up of white people as well.

8. viLky

viLky ykLiv

I actually love that they do this. They set themselves up for future losses. Now, whenever somebody says that there are "blacks" or "Muslims" somewhere, they won't be allowed to yell "RACISTS!!1111111", "intolerant" or anything other insult they usually fling.

Funny how they're allowed to use "white" and "Christians" when describing an event, but if the right does it, they're labeled bigots, racists, intolerant, ect...

9. Merc

I have to admit though that when racial profiling is used against non whites, Brix and Cap, you guys seem to favor it. Just a little amusing to me. It's kind of hard to support such a thing and then act all outraged when news outlets pay attention to the fact that almost every single person there was white while Mohamed and Juan get shaken down at the airport, grocery store, and any in neighborhood they don't look like they belong in.

10. CaptainObvious

How does racial profiling someone at the airport or crossing the border (the only time I've ever commented on racial profiling) tie into how the media decides to describe those who attend events? I don't see the correlation.