• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss Mechanical Keyboards

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Do you have one?

I have a Razr and it's amazing. I love hearing the feedback and knowing I'm getting solid feedback from my keys.

You?

dDave

V.I.P.
I use island style keyboards. I started on mechanical keyboards like everyone else but I'm not a fan of them.

I found that my wrists and hands got sore really easily when using mechanical keyboards whereas with island style keyboards I don't really get anything. I'll bet it's related to the range of motion and extra pressure required on mechanical boards.

Luckily the only mechanical keyboards I have to use are at school and they're shallow.

I find I get enough sound from my keys as it is.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I've always used mechanical keyboards, so it's what I'm used to. I've used other styles (island, I guess?) and they just don't feel right to me, so I use what's comfortable.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I actually find island style to be pretty uncomfortable, at least for long term use. Short term I have no problem but to sit down and play a game it would definitely hurt after a bit. Mechnicals also take a much heavier beating and the keys can be replaced fairly easily.

dDave

V.I.P.
I actually find island style to be pretty uncomfortable, at least for long term use. Short term I have no problem but to sit down and play a game it would definitely hurt after a bit. Mechnicals also take a much heavier beating and the keys can be replaced fairly easily.
I guess I'm not hard on my keyboards because I am yet to break an island style keyboard or a mechanical keyboard. (ask Van or Brix about breaking them, they've gone through so many mechanical boards :lol:) I know that replacing keys is fairly easy though.

I thought island style felt really odd at first but I forced myself to use it for a while and now it feels really natural and comfortable for me.

I don't really care about looks one way or the other. To be honest, I find that some of the Razor and Logitech mechanical boards look really cool but they are just uncomfortable to use. My all black desktop setup does look strange with a white apple keyboard. If this thing ever breaks I will seek out a black island style board (I know ASUS and Lenovo make good stuff)

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I never used a mechanical keyboard yet but I dont get why I would want to. Im always hooked up to my earbuds when Im online so all I would hear is the music.

Btw if anyone wants to hear the keys click without too much pressure on their fingers you ccould just use a Bluetooth virtual keyboard. It has virtual clicking noises too and since its only a laser projected image theres no pressure on your fingers.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's much less to do with the sound Dragon and more to do with feedback.

The sound is a byproduct of sharp feedback from the keys.

SenatorB

J.S.P.S
I grew up using an old style clicky keyboard, but after years of using my laptop's built in keyboard, I got pretty used to the shorter pressing motion and relative ease of pushing the keys. At this point, using a mechanical keyboard feels unnecessarily bulky and my typing is a bit slower cause it takes longer to fully depress each key and move your finger.

With my current setup (laptop with HDMI to my big TV, me sitting on the couch), I mostly use a cheap wireless keyboard that I've been very satisfied with. It's plenty small and light, so I can easily move it around and keep it with me in any comfortable position.

The island keys took a little bit to get used to, but they feel natural having used it a fair amount. I really like that unlike a mechanical keyboard, it doesn't really allow crumbs or dust to fall between/below the keys, so I never end up with a filthy keyboard that I have to clean.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
It's much less to do with the sound Dragon and more to do with feedback.

The sound is a byproduct of sharp feedback from the keys.
Oh. If I had to press keys hard then I probaly couldnt type. My favorite keyboards are touch screen on phones and tablets. :D But clicky keys does sound really cool.

dDave

V.I.P.
Oh. If I had to press keys hard then I probaly couldnt type. My favorite keyboards are touch screen on phones and tablets. :D But clicky keys does sound really cool.
What I hate more than anything is the fake click sounds that you can get from various smartphones, it's terrible. I always turn off that feature.

I like the feel of an iPhone keyboard and can type 30-35wpm using two hands and probably about 20-25 with one hand (that being the left hand).

Yeah. Mechanical keyboards require the a lot more pressure for the key to register, they also have a lot more movement. These days it feels really unnatural to me because my keys don't move all that much and require very little effort to press, mechanical keyboards aren't like this at all.

Oh yeah, I also don't have to clean dust/food crumbs out of my keyboard (no, I really don't eat while using the computer but I know other people do). My only issue is that with my white keyboard there does seem to be some dirt collection on some of the keys. I fix this problem by taking a dry washcloth and rubbing the keys down pretty hard, works every time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Merc Computers 5
Sherlander Baseball 4
dDave Computers 15