• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Amusing Mechanical Keyboard

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Anyone use one? I tried one recently and now I really want one but they seem pretty pricy. I might go with a Cooler Master brand since they go on sale frequently on Newegg.

Anyone else use one? Likes or dislikes?

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
No replies? Not even from Dave?

Mechanical keyboards are the way to go. They're faster, easier to use, and soooo close to the traditional IBM keyboard. There's nothing more satisfying than the clickity-clack of typing 100 WPM on a mechanical keyboard. I love the low blue backlight on my keyboard, too. Adds a nice modern feel to the classic mechanical feel.

dDave

V.I.P.
Must have looked over this thread when it was first posted.

Speaking of traditional IBM keyboards, I have one, and I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. it looks like this. Obviously it runs off of PS/2.

*IBM M2 Keyboard

I don't really have a problem with mechanical keyboards, I find that I am much more comfortable with an island style keyboard though. They are just like what you'll find with a modern Macbook Pro or most other laptops out there. I have a full sized Apple keyboard (refer to the keyboards thread to see it). It doesn't have a backlight but on my desk I don't need one. I have a very similar keyboard on my laptop and I love it just as much.

I just find these to be much more comfortable. Island style keyboards require much less movement. One thing that always annoyed me about mechanical keyboards is the loud noises. When you type as fast as I do for as long as I do the sound does get pretty old.

I always game with the keyboard that I standardly use (that being the Apple keyboard mentioned before), haven't had any issues yet.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
When you type as fast as I do for as long as I do the sound does get pretty old.
I think that's the main issue when people compare mechanical vs any other style of keyboard. The mechanical click, or noise as you call it, is a drawing point of a lot of people to the mechanical keyboards. Plenty of us also think that they are faster because nearly everyone of my generation and before were taught how to type on an old IBM keyboard. And, if you want to compare, the old Apples that were in schools when I was younger also had an IBM clone keyboard that behaved the same way.

dDave

V.I.P.
I actually learned to type on a mechanical keyboard as well. I didn't get this Apple keyboard until just a few years ago.

I'm also aware of the old Mac Keyboards.

Mechanical used to be the only option for keyboards, so it's no wonder that a lot of people are really comfortable with them.

I don't notice a speed difference when I switch between the two (I've got the only desktop in the house without a mechanical keyboard). The only thing I notice is a difference in comfort.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I prefer mechanical keyboards as well, for the same reasons Steve does. I like and want the clicking noises. I have a mechanical keyboard at work and my brother has a pretty neat one that I got to use when I was house sitting a while back. Is it a coincidence that I had my highest posting day while I was at my brothers? It definitely felt like I was typing even faster than normal.