• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Meat labeling?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Canada and Mexico will seek World Trade Organization authorization to impose over $3 billion in sanctions against U.S. exports in retaliation against contentious meat-labeling laws, the two nations said on Thursday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/04/us-canada-trade-usa-idUSKBN0OK2AK20150604

Well this is rich, Canada and Mexico want to place sanctions against us for labeling our meat. They could label their meat too. Everyone should be interested in where their food comes from.

I can't believe our government is going to fold and overturn the law that requires meat labeling.

Maybe we should just keep our meat at home and they can keep theirs.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
U.S. legislators have signaled they plan to repeal the 2009 laws, which Canada and Mexico says makes their meat products more expensive.
In 2009, the United States required that retail outlets use labels such as "Born in Mexico, Raised and Slaughtered in the United States" to give consumers more information about the safety and origin of their food.
I am pro-COOL. People deserve to know the details behind what they are putting into their bodies. Producers and/or retailers may not like the hassle and cost of the labeling, just as they don't want to label GMO's, and perhaps many people don't care where their food comes from or how it was produced, but a great many people do, including me. I also haven't seen any COOL on meat products at my local supermarket. I have difficulty believing that none of it is sourced from the US.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We probably do a meat exchange across the border but they seem to want to keep it a secret.

I think people have a right to know where their food comes from. I think this "it makes our meats more expensive" is just an excuse to stop labeling it. If the WTO wants to place the sanctions against us maybe we should just stop importing their meat or exporting ours. That would solve the problem. They wouldn't have to worry about if we label it or not.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
For once I am on the US side of an issue. But if the US is going to have labeling laws requiring country of origin stats for imported products, they should be abiding by those same laws when exporting products. I can see Canada and Mexico being annoyed at having to label their meat products with country of origin info just so the US can use it as a form of protectionism while not labeling their own outgoing goods. Have any of my fellow Canucks here seen a steak or chop labelled "Raised in America" or anything like that? I haven't.

- Cham

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Since Americans want COOL then its just proof that the government isnt listening to us and it should! If we are willing to deal with the tarrifs then that should happen.
But theres still a way to protest. Meat doesnt have to be bought in huge chain stores - it can also be bought from formers markets and from special companies that only sell home grown meat. For example Braums dairy store raises all its own animals in Oklahoma so the meat is always grown and processed in the USA. Also Kobe beef is only grown in Japan.

I dont know about seafood but fishing is cool so maybe just go fishing and stick it in the freezer. People should always have the right to know what they are eating.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Since Americans want COOL then its just proof that the government isnt listening to us and it should! If we are willing to deal with the tarrifs then that should happen.
But theres still a way to protest. Meat doesnt have to be bought in huge chain stores - it can also be bought from formers markets and from special companies that only sell home grown meat. For example Braums dairy store raises all its own animals in Oklahoma so the meat is always grown and processed in the USA. Also Kobe beef is only grown in Japan.

I dont know about seafood but fishing is cool so maybe just go fishing and stick it in the freezer. People should always have the right to know what they are eating.
Because of this decision we will probably start getting more beef from places like Brazil where they have problems with Mad Cow and hoof and mouth disease. This is the equivalent of removing ingredient labels.