McGurk Effect

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I just found out about this today, and it's one of the coolest illusions I've run across. If you watch a video of someone saying "ga", and it is dubbed over with them saying "ba", you will hear them say "da". Watch this video with your eyes closed and then again with them open.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
That's really cool. I'm glad I clicked on this thread. For a while I thought McGurck had something to do with a boring philosophical theory. LOL

I heard ba both ways... That being said, I am going blind... And I rely on hearing much more strongly than sight, I expect to see things wrong. That means that if my eyes are telling me one thing and my ears another, I generally end up believing my ears.

Adri

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I'll have to listen to this when I get home, stupid college PCs don't have speakers.

That's amazing. I tried to tell somebody about it that is computer illiterate, and they thought I was the biggest nerd. EVER. It's cool to talk about it online, just don't tell anybody outside this world. :\

It's amazing how the brain works. Thanks for posting this.

Jakey-D

Registered Member
That's really freaky! I kept watching him then not watching and you can here the sound change between the two.

Are there any more of these kinda things that work along the same principles?

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I'm confused.

I listened with my eyes closed and heard "ba ba" and watched with them open and heard "ga ga".

Weirdness.